Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd March 2008, 06:43 PM
sentiono Offline

Question Fedora 8 Fresh Install - "Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root ..."

Hi all.

I am experiencing problem in installing Fedora 8 on my notebook.
After successful installation, it will send a message "Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)" everytime I try to boot Linux.

- I have tried some suggestions I found in this forum but no luck (*PAE and no).
- I have tried fresh installation over suggested default layout (LVM) and created own layout, and yield same failure results
- I have run rescue mode to check whether the /root was missing, and everything was created properly and intact
- I have run one command at a time via grub bash line, and it stalled with message "VFS - unable to mount fs on /root or unknown-block(0,0)" and then the message as above occured

The kernel packed with this distribution is 2.6.23.1-42.fc8

Here is my harddrive partition (last one after I opted out LVM one)
/dev/sda1 = 60Gb - Windows XP SP2 - NTFS format
/dev/sda2 = 200Mb - /boot
/dev/sda3
/dev/sda5 = 4096Mb - /swap
/dev/sda6 = 55Gb - / - ext3 format
/dev/sda4 = 32G - Data - NTFS format

My computer configuration is
IBM Thinkpad T60, T7200 (2.0GHz), 4Gb RAM, 160Gb HD Samsung, ATI X1300 with 256Mb, DVD-RAM, Intel Pro 3945ABG, Bluetooth, Intel Pro 1000/PL

Would someone give advice on what to do? Did I miss something?
I would like to run Linux. The last version I used Linux for sometime when Redhat distro was 2.x and kernel was 1.x

Many thanks in advance.
Old 22nd March 2008, 09:50 PM
Nokia Offline

First, what is /dev/sda3 ?

Could you boot a Fedora 8 Live CD and attach the dmesg file ?
Quote:
su -
dmesg >>dmesg.txt

SELinux User Guide

AutoPager
Old 24th March 2008, 05:24 AM
LordMorgul Offline

I'm guessing /dev/sda3 is an extended partition which includes 4,5,6.

It looks like you've got grub configured to look for the partition (hd0,0) but unless you're doing partition hiding in grub (to keep your windows partition from being seen at all) then this is wrong. Without partition hiding your /boot would be (hd0,1) according to grub, and the kernel itself would be found at (hd0,1)/vmlinuz. The line in grub starting with kernel /vmlinuz should have a root=/dev/sda6 in the line.

No one now has, and no one will ever again get, the big picture. - Daniel Geer
Old 24th March 2008, 07:26 PM
sentiono Offline

1. /dev/sda3 is an extended partition, containing /dev/sda5 and /dev/sda6 (as suggested by default standard installation by Fedora - but on LVM format)
2. what are we looking for on dmesg? (producing ~15kb text file)
3. as for the grub (hd0,0) and (hd0,1), there is no problem as it's very clear to me which one is Linux partition and which one is XP. And it was correct that the load one was kernel /vmlinuzxxx ro root=/dev/sda6 in th line. I was even able to load one at a time. The error happens after all the drivers were loaded (synaptic last one) and tried to mount the / as the root.

a. I tried to recompile the kernel to use AHCI to support SATA driver, but unfortunately 2.6.24.3 kernel installation also has problem (if_addrlabel.h).
b. I tried to reinstall the system while making Bios to make SATA/AHCI compatible, it generates the same problems (VFS error).

Any other suggestion?
Old 29th March 2008, 04:06 PM
sentiono Offline

I forgot a might be important piece of information.
The problem that I experience only related to Fedora 8.
I installed Fedora 5 (Red Hat nash 5.0.32 & 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp) on my laptop and it works without any problem.

So, what is going on with Fedora 8? Also kernel 2.6.23 and 2.6.24.4 or above?
Old 29th March 2008, 09:42 PM
Nokia Offline

What would be your current kernel ?

Idea: Boot from rescue cd, chroot and perform normal updates, then reboot.

SELinux User Guide

AutoPager
Old 30th March 2008, 02:54 AM
sentiono Offline

Hi - my FC5 current kernel is 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp.
It reboots and works without problems.
When I tried to recompile newer kernel on FC5 (to support some drivers, such as wireless 3945) 2.6.24.3 and 2.6.24.4 - it resulted the same error Kernel Panic.

As for FC8, I tried that. After installing FC8 and got kernel panic, I had booted from CD and went to rescue mode, chroot and reinstalling kernel - same error.

The main question is how the old version FC5 perform better than newer one FC8 (and newer kernel)? Is this an overlooked issue (like 2.6.24.3 on if_addrlabel.h issue)?
I need newer version to get wireless, some shortcut key, vga driver and some other minor issues (ie. sync with my treo) without too much work around.

Or perhaps I should wait for FC9?
but I doubt it will solve the issue as it seems in the kernel problem on recognizing the partition (as I had tried with 2.6.24.3 and 2.6.24.4).
Old 31st March 2008, 11:24 PM
LordMorgul Offline

sentiono,
Your machine is fairly new hardware, but I wouldn't expect the FC5 kernel to have fewer problems detecting the partition. I suspect a problem with the initrd still, but unfortunately beyond that I'm not very good with fixing it. You could certainly try the latest rawhide Live cd (rawhide snapshot 20080327 at torrent.fedoraproject.org). If you cannot get F8 to work you can try that, but keep in mind its beta software.. still I would guess it'll work better for you than FC5 is.

Old 1st April 2008, 06:53 PM
sentiono Offline

Thanks - I just wondering how it happen.
Today I found a new interesting case.
1. Re-compile kernel 2.6.24.4 with "device mapper turn on - not as module" does the trick on FC5 (2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp).
2. I save the ".config" file that compiled and ran successfully. No kernel panic, etc.
3. Wipe out FC5, fresh install with FC8 (again), run on rescue mode and recompile 2.6.24.4 with the success ".config" file => resulting kernel panic again.

I now wondering what's going on.
Perhaps people on Fedora distribution can check this out?

Another piece of information.
1. make, make modules_install ran fine on FC5, and make install clean without error.
2. on FC8, the "make install" command return error /sbin/nash but it creates a successful vmlinuz file

I also copy the previous 2.6.24.4 kernel that successfully built on FC5 to this FC8, turn out to be error - just a try.
Old 1st April 2008, 09:28 PM
LordMorgul Offline

Well, if you were getting the device mapper built as a module, then you'd need mkinitrd to pick it up, which usually comes from the modprobe.conf, so I suspect there is some problem there. You should get the latest F8 update kernel SRPM and extract it (either create an rpm buildroot and rpm -i blah.srpm or use cpio). The kernel configs are inside it; get that config and work from there as your base for rebuilding a kernel... in fact I'd even use those sources, adding other patches if you wanted. The fedora kernel includes goodies like exec_shield.

And another suggestion might be to get an F7 install cd... and get that working. Once you're there, you may be able to just yum upgrade to F8 which is a supported upgrade path. If the F7 install kernel works for you, thats a clear shot to F8.

See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq

Old 3rd April 2008, 05:14 PM
sentiono Offline

Hi - for now I give up the FC8 as the troubleshoot takes longer and more effort than expected. Actually, I managed to get FC8 running - but very unstable.
Now, I am running FC7, x64 and build kernel 2.6.24.4.

Interesting note on this FC8. It seems the build up scripts and some modules are not tested thoroughly.
1. Fresh install -> kernel panic: found the problem. As pointed by LordMogul - it's correct that the initrd has problem. The initrd doesn't compiled properly. As such, some modules are not loaded and resulting kernel panics. If people see that your initrd.x.x.x.img is 50 bytes or less than Mb, then you'll experience problem like me.
2. Based on #1, library distribution on FC8 is not properly mapped. Some required libraries are scattered.
Compiling new kernel, will results:
a. make = ok,
b. make modules_install = ok,
c. make install = not ok = generates lots of error
To make it successful, quite a number of effort to fix the scripts and move the libraries around.

I will wait for FC9 and try it out later, but for the time being, I will stick with FC7 (test i386 and x64, both running fine).
Thanks all and Fedora people, please check again on FC8.
Old 3rd April 2008, 09:23 PM
LordMorgul Offline

I'm glad you've got a system working for you now.
On point number 2 though, you probably did not have the development libraries all installed at that point. If you've got them all installed that should have worked fine, I've built kernels on F8 without any tinkering in library location/paths. The majority of those things are not installed by the default package set. Anyway good luck.

Old 15th May 2008, 04:33 PM
Flying_Eagle Offline

I get this error on a computer where I had to reinstall Fedora Core 8 (I ****ed up some settings and as I'm not so experienced I thought was the easiest way to go back to a working system...). Amazingly the computer decides to work when I remove 1GB of 4GB of RAM... Has anyone an idea why this happens? Might the RAM be defect? Thanks for any kind of help...
Old 16th May 2008, 05:46 AM
LordMorgul Offline

flying_eagle, yes your ram could be the problem. You can determine if that memory is bad by swapping it out with one of the other 4, and trying several combinations of just 3Gb with a different one pulled out each time. Try different combos of which memory slot is empty as well as which memory stick is not used.

You can also try running the memcheck option for the installer. For this, put in all 4 memory sticks, then try the test (it takes a long time). You should be able to narrow it down by trying this: either the memory is bad, the slot is bad, or they ALL work but only when you have 3Gb or less installed.

Old 16th May 2008, 05:47 AM
LordMorgul Offline

Also, make sure your bios settings are correct for that memory (if in doubt, clear the bios memory as per your motherboard instructions).

Tags
fedora, fresh, install