Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Servers & Networking
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Servers & Networking Discuss any Fedora server problems and Networking issues such as dhcp, IP numbers, wlan, modems, etc.

Old 24th March 2008, 01:03 AM
Syncro Offline

Having to enter Samba password manually in Samba config screen after every reboot!

I'm running FC8 on my fileserver. Samba worked fine for weeks once it was initially configured, but when the box was updated and rebooted it dissapeared from the network.

To fix it I had to go into the samba conf screen (this part of the setup I did using the GUI) and re-enter everyones passwords (same as Windows). The passwords appeared to be saved, but still needed to be re-entered. I don't know the passwords for half my users, so I had to go bug them to come personally.

I updated and rebooted the box again today and the same thing happened!

I searched, found tons of samba password problems but not my own. I wasn't sure which keywords to search for - if this has been covered before please let me know.

If it means anything, the drives I'm sharing are all mounted manually (instead of using fstab). Came across something like this during my search.
Don't forget to comment when your problem is solved - others will be searching for solutions too!
Old 25th March 2008, 12:24 AM
leonloopik Offline

I have the same problem, but i dont have to type in the passwords.... (maybe because it is the same as my default user name...)
the only thing i must do after every reboot, is go to samba conf and open server configuration from the preferences menu, click on OK and everythings works fine again

but i use samba for filesharing over my lan network and i reboot my computer regulery and its quite innoying that i have to do that after every reboot......

edit:

[Leon@leons-pc ~]$ uname -a
Linux leons-pc.localdomain 2.6.24.3-34.fc8 #1 SMP Wed Mar 12 18:17:20 EDT 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Last edited by leonloopik; 25th March 2008 at 12:27 AM.
Old 1st June 2008, 01:22 AM
Syncro Offline

Bump! Still haven't figured this one out.
Don't forget to comment when your problem is solved - others will be searching for solutions too!
Old 17th July 2008, 12:03 AM
Syncro Offline

My problem ended up being NMB not being set to start automatically. Playing around in SMB GUI probably started it.

Tags
config, enter, manually, password, reboot, samba, screen