Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st July 2004, 05:16 PM
RazorWind Offline

Sound Blaster Live - modprobe causes immediate hard lockup

Hey all,

I've been trying literally for days at this, and I'm at my wit's end. Here's my problem.

I want to use my sound blaster live value with Fedora Core 2. I had it working yesterday with RedHat 9, but due to the sound in MythTV taking up a tremendous amount of CPU horsepower, I decided I might need ALSA to make it work correctly, so I installed ALSA, which caused this problem with RH9, too.

In FC2, immediately after installing and rebooting, the system tries to play the KDE login sound as it logs me in, if I don't remove the following lines from modprobe.conf (commenting them out with a # character at the beginning of each line broke the NIC driver).

alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 && /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-emu10k1 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-emu10k1

As soon as it attempts to play that login sound, the systems hangs. It doesn't pass go, it doesn't collect $200. The same thing happens if I run "modprobe snd-emu10k1." Immediate hard lock.

I tried upgrading to the latest (2.6.6-1.435.2.1) kernel, but that didn't make any difference. Is there a new version of snd-emu10k1 that doesn't cause this? Some of you people seem to be using similar cards with no difficulty, so I'll assume it's possible to make it work. I had it working briefly under RH9 (with ALSA, or at least alsamixer controlling the volume), but then it mysteriously started doing this same thing.

Any help at all will be sincerely appreciated.
Old 2nd July 2004, 08:13 AM
Tashiro Offline
Retired Community Manager

Hey,

Have this problem on a P1@233 with a trust soundcard and a EES soundcard.
Tried running it with win98se, win2000 professional and xp professional, all crashed
on the first sound made!! Could it be a hardware conflict??

My FC2 system runs on a P3@733 256sdram133 and a soundblaster live!
And the sound works, can I give you config files or something
for you to compare with yours??

Tashiro
Old 2nd July 2004, 08:20 AM
ghaefb Offline

My sound blaste live value works perfect on FC2.
I didn't configure anything, it just worked.

blog & sysinfo
Old 2nd July 2004, 02:00 PM
RazorWind Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashiro
Hey,

Have this problem on a P1@233 with a trust soundcard and a EES soundcard.
Tried running it with win98se, win2000 professional and xp professional, all crashed
on the first sound made!! Could it be a hardware conflict??

My FC2 system runs on a P3@733 256sdram133 and a soundblaster live!
And the sound works, can I give you config files or something
for you to compare with yours??

Tashiro

I don't think it's a hardware problem. I've used this card nearly every day for like 5 years, with several different motherboards in all sorts of configurations. In fact, I'm listening to music with it as I type this. (I kind of gave up on it, and put it in my Windows XP box)

The reason I wanted to use it was that it has a digital out port.

These are the lines from my modules.conf. So far as I can tell, it crashes exactly as snd-emu10k1 is modprobed, so it kind of looks like there's just something wrong with that kernel module. (That's the right term, right?)

#this is the alsa driver stuff.
alias sound-slot-0 snd-emu10k1
post-install sound-slot-0 /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
above snd-emu10k1 snd-pcm-oss

#these two lines are the OSS drivers.
post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
Old 2nd July 2004, 07:35 PM
Tashiro Offline

Hey,

Ok this is my /etc/modprobe.conf file:

alias eth0 3c59x
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 && /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-emu10k1 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-emu10k1
alias usb-controller uhci-hcd
alias char-major-195* nvidia

I am also running kernel 2.6.6-1.427.8kstacks.

Hope it helps!
Old 7th February 2005, 09:53 PM
Firewing1 Offline

Hi there, I'm no expert on kernel modules, but I had a problem with SBLive! cards, too. Here's a couple things I think you can do, maybe they will help...
-NEVER say "no" for the soundcard detection. This is said to unload sound modules.
-Try "cd"ing to your kernel's build directory (/lib/modules/KERNELVERSION/build/) and (as root) executing "make menuconfig". Make sure sound support and SBLive sound is activated. If it is not, activate it and recompile the kernel.
-Check in your BIOS for IRQ reservations to make sure there's no conflict where your card is...
-In FC3, don't use just KDE. I'm no one to say this, but incase it changes something, use both Gnome and KDE. I have both installed, so I can run pretty much anything I want, have many, many programs, which is good, plus maybe gnome has better sound support ??
Good luck,
Firewing1

Tags
blaster, hard, live, lockup, modprobe, sound