Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th April 2008, 03:11 AM
vpg Offline

booting has failed. mount failed during boot

Looks like linux partition has been corrupted or failed..
Getting lot of errors.
----------------------------
Trying to resume from /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01
No suspend signature on swap, not resuming.
Creating root device.
Mounting root filesystem.
EXT3-fs error (device dm-0): ext3_check_descriptors: Block bitmap for group 1 not in group (block 0)!
EXT3-fs: group discriptor corrupted!
mount: error mounting /dev/root on /sysroot as ext3: Invalid argument
Settingup other filesystems.
Setting up new roof fs
setuproot: moving /dev dailed. No such file or directory
no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
switchedroot: mount failed: No such file or directory
Booting has failed.

How to fix and recover?

Thanks,

How can i fix the
Old 10th April 2008, 07:47 AM
Thetargos Online

Did this happen after an update? This looks like a problem that used to happen when updating to the latest kernel. Are you still able to boot with a previous version (see the GRUB splash, press a key to stop the counter and see if there is another entry, if so, are you able to boot from it?).

Assuming you were able to boot with an older kernel, could you post the contents of the /etc/fstab file?

FedoraForum Community forums lurker.
Fedora user since RHL 5.2 :cool:

Systems: Laptop, Main System, Netbook.
Old 10th April 2008, 01:29 PM
vpg Offline

I can't boot with older version of kernel. I'm now trying with install-upgrade option from install DVD.

I'm thinking for recreating a root partition. But don't know how. Help please.
Old 10th April 2008, 01:54 PM
vpg Offline

I meant boot partition
Old 10th April 2008, 08:23 PM
Thetargos Online

To be honest, and despite what good things may stem from using LVM (Logical Volume Management), I despise the SOB. With that off my chest and out of the way, what I usually do is from the drop-down menu at the partition configuration screen in Anaconda, select a Custom Partition Layout. That will bring you to a program called "Disk Druid" which will allow you to modify the topology of your drive creating individual partitions. What is recommened to do is the following:
  • Have at least three partitions: one for boot (/boot), one for root (/) and one for swap (Virtual Memory). However, I add a fourth for /home (I hate losing data with upgrades and re-installs )
  • You can have up to four primary partitions on a "PC" HDD (BIOS restriction, actually), but you can have as many logical partitions as you want, these partitions reside inside a special extended partition. All this is to tell you that if you will be dual booting the system with another OS in the same drive, you would be better off having all Linux partitions created either as one primary (boot, for instance) and the rest within the extended, or all within an extended partition.
  • Creating partitions is as easy as selecting the New partition button in Disk Druid and setting the partition's parameters (size, mount point, file system, etc), since Disk Druid also formats the partition, you can select the file system too. For all file systems, I'd suggest you go with ext3, except for SWAP which uses its own file system.
  • When you are done, click next, the partition table will be written to the disk, and you may follow the installation in the usual manner. For upgrades and re-installations, though, you will have to select the same custom layout option if you don't want to lose any data. With the partitions already created, all that is left to do when upgrading/reinstalling is to modify their properties and assign the mount point and whether to format it or not. I usually format /boot and root (/) and only set the mountpoint for /home.
Hope that helps.

FedoraForum Community forums lurker.
Fedora user since RHL 5.2 :cool:

Systems: Laptop, Main System, Netbook.

Tags
boot, booting, failed, mount