Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th April 2008, 04:03 PM
Arbitrary Offline

Good motherboards for Fedora 7

I need to purchase motherboards that are supported by Fedora 7 with no updates or kernel recompiles to Fedora. I'm running a DVR application that gets destroyed by any updates, especially when the c libraries get updated for some new driver.

I'm sure that there are thousands of good installations out there on motherboards that work well with Fedora immediately.

I would like for these motherboards to have at least 2 sata ports, a PCI Express x16 slot and at least 2 regular PCI slots. Onboard LAN would also be great.

The boards I used to use, Asus P5LD2's, are no longer made. I've been through 5 different motherboards that are currently in production and all of them have failed in some way to work with the base install of Fedora 7.

POST EDITED to show recommendations so far:
New Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe - I ordered this board and have tested it. It's a fine motherboard with a great featureset. Thanks for the recommendation. This is a great solution for my high-end needs.

New Biostar NF61S-M2 TE - This is a recommendation from the manufacturer of the video capture cards - I've received one but have not tested it yet. This could be a good solution for a lower-end system (non-RAID, no extra PCI slots)

GIGA-BYTE GA-P31-DS3L (may be out of production - open box available from newegg)
ASUS P5B Deluxe (may be out of production - open box available from newegg)

Last edited by Arbitrary; 17th April 2008 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10th April 2008, 09:12 PM
Thetargos Online

For what chips (AMD/Intel)?

My personal favorite (though I don't know if they pack PCI-E 16x) are micro ATX based off VIA's K8T800 chips. They are very well supported and offer a very good overall experience with Linux, and Fedora in particular. No special black magic of any kind, no head aches. However, they fall in the rather lower-end of spectrum and are for AMD architectures (I'm not even sure they are sold anymore). One key advantage of these boards is their southbridge and audio solutions (one of the few integrated audio that I know of that offers hardware mixing).

Another good option, almost sure bet are boards based off nVidia's NForce, I'm not familiar with their compatibility on Intel systems, but they tend to be very well supported as well. Also Intel based boards are very well supported as well, though some say that they can be a bit difficult to shop for, as there seems to be an ever growing number different features, and models flooding the market, generally a P35 based board should be well supported as well as X38 based ones (these should now support PCI-E 2.0). Apparently the AMD boards are also pretty good and well supported, but it depends on what other components are present in the board. Apparently boards based off their 790FX chipset are very good, though the Phenoms are still a bit flaky.

Since Fedora 7 uses a fairly outdated kernel, I'd stay with a board based off nVidia or Intel P35 (if not prior) chipsets. Also check out VIA based boards.

FedoraForum Community forums lurker.
Fedora user since RHL 5.2 :cool:

Systems: Laptop, Main System, Netbook.
Old 10th April 2008, 11:04 PM
Arbitrary Offline

Thanks for the reply. I'm mainly using intel but I'd cheat on them with AMD.

I tried a board based on the Nvideo GeForce MCP73 chipset and I can't install base Fedora 7. It can't find the installation files even though they are on the cd with the program that is looking for them - I'm asked to select a driver. If I try ftp or http installation option then I'm asked for ethernet drivers because the integrated lan is not understood.

I'm in this predicament because my software vendor is way behind the times. All of the motherboards I've been having troubles with work fine on Fedora 8. If they would update their software I would have tons of MBs to choose from.
Old 11th April 2008, 12:13 AM
Dies Offline

I have an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe, works perfect OOTB, exceeds your requirements, and is pretty cheap these days.
Old 11th April 2008, 06:16 AM
Thetargos Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dies
I have an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe, works perfect OOTB, exceeds your requirements, and is pretty cheap these days.
That's the one I currently have. The problem of the OP is more due to "antiquated" software (particularly hardware drivers), and hardware support for a particular application (being this a DVR I assume TVTime or MythTV). Anyway, all the AMD systems I've tried are very well supported, though some may exhibit some problems. I do believe that he'll be better off checking compatibility lists for some of his choices.

Old 11th April 2008, 06:53 AM
gadgetwiz Offline

I'm a huge fan of Gigabyte boards, combined with Fedora. The last two boxes I've built were based on this board and they work flawlessly with Fedora.

http://www.keenzo.com/showproduct.asp?ID=1158231

This board is all solid cap design and CAN'T be beat for the money.

Review..

http://www.virtual-hideout.net/revie...3L/index.shtml

Combine with an Intel Core duo/Quad core, along with a decent nVidia card and you're off and running.

The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'.
Oops. Wrong One.
'Do it yourself'. Yeah, that's it. - Linus Torvalds
Old 11th April 2008, 06:59 AM
Dies Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetargos
That's the one I currently have.
Ah, cool.

IMHO the board is a good choice , it has great onboard audio that just works, and with a good graphics card or two cheap Nvidia cards in SLI seems like a good choice for a DVR, aside from the size anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetargos
The problem of the OP is more due to "antiquated" software (particularly hardware drivers), and hardware support for a particular application (being this a DVR I assume TVTime or MythTV).
Not from what I read. Unless I misunderstood, his only concern was that it work well with a default Fedora 7 install. Which, at least in my experience, it does. No extra drivers or configuration needed, just install and use.

On a side note, right now at NewEgg they have a nice combo deal with a Phenom processor.

Though I would probably just go with a fast X2 to be on the safe side.
Old 11th April 2008, 07:04 AM
Thetargos Online

Yeah, even for a DVR you don't need a really fast CPU either (not even for HD content) with good XVideo drivers (yes, I'm looking at you ATi!)

I'd go for an X2 rather than a Phenom. At least during 2008 I wouldn't go for a phenom.

Old 11th April 2008, 07:39 AM
Demz

iv'e always usedd Gigabyte Boards an never had any issues with them
Old 11th April 2008, 03:17 PM
Arbitrary Offline

Thanks for the motherboards to try.

I'm using proprietary DVR boards that capture and compress 32 simultaneous channels of video. Another company produces the software and they are the ones that have locked their software to the base install of Fedora 7. Because the compression happens on the DVR boards the rest of the computer is not under heavy load.

I really appreciate all of the responses from the Fedora community. Please keep your motherboards coming. I'm going to be buying and testing your recommendations until I find a good working, stable solution that has good available quantity from a vendor I trust such as newegg or mwave.

I'm editing my initial post to show your recommendations.

Last edited by Arbitrary; 11th April 2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11th April 2008, 04:42 PM
Hobashira Offline

I have been using an ASUS P5B Deluxe on which I ran FC6, F7 and now F8.
No particular problems.
Old 17th April 2008, 05:48 PM
Arbitrary Offline

I've updated the initial post with results so far. With the help of this community I have one great solution for a motherboard that works with my video capture cards.