Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th April 2008, 01:51 PM
shahzadmasud Offline

Broadcom Corporation BCM4310 USB Controller

I have purchased a new HP Pavilion DV6700. It contains a built-in wireless card (Broadcom Corporation BCM4310 USB Controller). It was working fine in Windows Vista & XP. But It is not visible in Fedora 8.

lspci output is ..
02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4310 USB Controller (rev 01)
06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 01)

The other network controller is working fine, but there is some problem with Broadcom one. Any help?

Thanks,
Shaz
Old 11th April 2008, 03:00 PM
shahzadmasud Offline

Additionally, this network controller is a wireless one.
Old 11th April 2008, 11:21 PM
bbfuller Offline

Hello shahzadmasud

As it's a USB device, it's sure not to show in the lspci listing.

Try:

Code:
/sbin/lsusb
and it should be there.

Here's a quote from the home page of the b43 driver for broadcom cards:

Quote:
If you have an USB device with Broadcom chip, please try the RNDIS driver. The b43/b43legacy driver will never support this device.
Site here for reference:

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Dr...devicefirmware

It looks like your only chance will be to use ndiswrapper.
Old 22nd May 2008, 02:44 AM
rugbert Offline

edit - nvm

Last edited by rugbert; 22nd May 2008 at 02:58 AM.
Old 30th May 2008, 05:08 AM
neogranas Offline

i just picked up the same laptop, is this proven to work? or is there an alternate method that may be easier/more reliable? not to say this isn't, just a little hesitant seeing as my linux skills aren't the best.
Registered linux user: #475337

Never underestimate someone with source code, a text editor, and the willingness to completely hose their system.
Old 30th May 2008, 08:38 AM
bbfuller Offline

Hello neogranas

The first thing to be sure of is that you do actually have the same wireless card in your laptop. Manufacturers have a bad habit of changing the chipset for wireless without changing anything else.

Try running the command:

Code:
/sbin/lspci
in a terminal window and see what it says about "ethernet" and "wireless".

If it is a 4310 then the only people I have known to have success with this card have had to use ndiswrapper. Some other broadcom cards are simpler to set up but wireless isn't the fearsome thing it used to be with Linux for a lot of cards.

Where it often goes wrong is where there are two ways of controlling a card and users have tried a bit of both with consequent lack of success on either.

Post back with the details of the card and we'll see what your best next step will be.
Old 30th May 2008, 03:18 PM
neogranas Offline

I don't have it with me, I'm at work and I get too distracted with it, but last night while configuring other things I thought I'd check the network gui. It appears that I have an Atheros wireless chipset. But I am not positive, I was reading a bit on it and found that madwifi from livna should work, but after installing that it didn't. Any tips?

Never underestimate someone with source code, a text editor, and the willingness to completely hose their system.
Old 30th May 2008, 03:51 PM
bbfuller Offline

Hello neogranas

If you are not sure what wireless chipset you have in your laptop you really are better off not installing anything until you do know.

The solutions for broadcom and atheros are quite different.

For Atheros there is already a built in driver which will probably interfere with the madwifi driver unless blacklisted.

Post back with what you have got from the command above and we'll think again.
Old 30th May 2008, 05:50 PM
neogranas Offline

Will do as soon as I get home.

Edited for:
The setup I put in my signature is what I got off the order email sent to me when I got the laptop, but I'll double check what the chipset is anyway to be sure.

Old 30th May 2008, 08:26 PM
hyperspace Offline

Too bad, Bill!

Quote:
Fedora 8 (Werewolf) -- Vista didn't even get booted after the box was opened.
Nice!

Registered Linux User #329061
Old 30th May 2008, 09:30 PM
neogranas Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperspace
Nice!
I had to laugh, HP recommended I not use anything but Vista because some applications only work in Vista. I scoffed at them, hopped on my dirt bike and rode away kicking up mud on them.

Old 31st May 2008, 12:06 AM
neogranas Offline

Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5006EG 802.11 b/g Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)

Found this at a site for a Toshiba, but the same hardware:
The std madwifi driver does not work. fedorasal reports that it works under ndiswrapper. fedoraforum suggests that it might be a 5007EG and that madwifi with patches might be better than ath5k hardware4linux suggests ath_pci. madwifi suggests "modprobe wlan_scan_sta,modprobe wlan_wep,modprobe ath_pci".

Last edited by neogranas; 31st May 2008 at 12:09 AM.
Old 31st May 2008, 12:37 AM
bbfuller Offline

Hello neogranas

I was afraid you were going to say that.

One of the main sources of information on the Atheros cards has this to say about the 5007EG:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...d.php?t=189651

I assume then that it is a case of waiting until the upgraded madwifi becomes available or trying ndiswrapper for the time being.

I've some general notes on installing ndiswrapper if you want to try them.
Old 31st May 2008, 01:45 AM
neogranas Offline

They would be very much appreciated. I'm still new to linux, but I'm going to try to set up a home server for the heck of it to learn.

Old 31st May 2008, 10:18 AM
bbfuller Offline

Hello neogranas

If we are going to use ndiswrapper to control this card the first thing you will need is the Windows driver for the card in a directory on the linux disc. If it is a compressed file under windows then depending on the type it's probably best to uncompress it there and transfer the results over. Ndiswrapper will be looking for a .inf and .sys file from the package.

Secondly, you will need to have ndiswrapper installed on your linux machine. The usual way to do that is from a third party repository of software called Livna.

There are other third party repositories that you may install as well. Specific ones like the Adobe one for Flash are OK to leave enabled all the time but for general purpose ones like livna the rule is that you should only have one active all the time as they can generate conflicts between their various packages. If at any time you need an extra general purpose repository edit its file in /etc/yum.repos.d so that is not active all the time. It is then easy to enable it on a time by time basis.

Obtain a full root command prompt with:

Code:
su -
Take care to include the space and minus sign after the su, without them you get root privileges over your own areas, with them you get full root access over the whole machine

To install Livna:

Code:
rpm -i http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-8.rpm
I'd also recommend then doing:

Code:
yum install yumex
Yumex is a very friendly package installer and will then turn up on the "Gnome Applications Menu - System Tools"

Run the command:

Code:
uname -a
Quote:
My machine reports:

Quote:
Linux lenovo 2.6.24.4-64.fc8 #1 SMP Sat Mar 29 09:54:46 EDT 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
The important parts to note for the kernel on your machine are the equivalent to the parts I've marked in red.
Use the Yumex program to install the package:

Code:
kmod-ndiswrapper-1.52-6.lvn8.1.i686.rpm
Probably uname -a will report a different kernel to my example so adjust the kmod package you download accordingly. It will pull in at least two other files it needs as dependencies.

That's the specific part. What follows are my general purpose notes for installing ndiswrapper. There is possibly however one extra step you will have to take. Fedora 8 already includes a driver for some Atheros cards (I've not found it very reliable and it won't work with yours in any case) but it "may" interfere with ndiswrapper.

Obtain a root text editor, issue the command:

Code:
gedit
from your root command prompt and edit the file:

Code:
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
There wil already be some examples there, just add another entry that reads:

Code:
blacklist ath5k
This is the generic instruction set for installing your windows driver with ndiswrapper:

Quote:
From the full root terminal window again:

Code:
ndiswrapper -i <path to your windows driver file>.inf
should install the driver,

Code:
ndiswrapper -l
if it is going to work should return "hardware present"

Code:
modprobe ndiswrapper
should load the driver into the kernel, but probably only until you reboot.

If you are lucky now and NetworkManager is running then after a short while it 'may' begin reporting wireless networks. NetworkManager is the preferred method of connecting to wireless networks with Fedora and should be located on the top Gnome Panel to the right in the notification area.

If it's not there, "Gnome System Menu - Administration - Services" will give you the opportunity to start it, set it to start at boot time and save the changes.

If it works, or indeed if it doesn't you will also need to run:

Code:
ndiswrapper -ma
and then edit the file:

Quote:
/etc/modprobe.conf
as root and add the line:

Code:
alias wlan0 ndiswrapper
to it.

With that all in place, reboot the computer to get the alias recognised and open "Gnome System Menu - Administration - Network", highlight your wlan0 entry, click "Edit" and make sure now that it is set NOT to "Activate device when computer starts" but that if it is there, "Controlled by NetworkManager" is ticked. That last item will only be in place if your machine is currently fairly up to date.

Reboot and try connecting again.
I'll be looking for any questions you have.

Tags
bcm4310, broadcom, controller, corporation, usb