Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th April 2008, 01:02 PM
myanatadesmond Offline

optical drive eject

i want to use my laptop fn+F10 to eject the dvdrom drive. Anybody knows how to do it ? Doesn't work on my dell latitude D610. It will even be better if i press fn+F10, screen will show an eject icon like mac OSX can do.
Old 18th April 2008, 01:32 PM
Nokia Offline

Type eject in a terminal.

SELinux User Guide

AutoPager
Old 18th April 2008, 02:33 PM
myanatadesmond Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokia
Type eject in a terminal.
ok, is there any program or where can i configure fn+F10 run the eject command ?
Old 18th April 2008, 02:42 PM
A.Serbinski Offline

The "fn" key doesn't map as a key, so no.
Why don't you just press the button on the drive?
Old 18th April 2008, 02:45 PM
sideways Offline
Retired User

Quote:
Originally Posted by myanatadesmond
ok, is there any program or where can i configure fn+F10 run the eject command ?
If your Fn key generates an keyboard event in X you can use xmodmap to map it

Code:
xmodmap -e 'keycode xxx=XF86Eject'
where xxx = the keycode for Fn+F10 which you can find by running 'xev' and pressing the keys. Unfortunately the Fn key is not recognized in many cases. What laptop do you have, there may be a custom kernel module for hotkeys, for Toshibas you can try 'modprobe toshiba_acpi' (may generate a dmesg error about unsupported laptop)

In gnome it is even easier, go to System->Preferences->Personal->Keyboard Shortcuts, and just scroll down to the eject event and press you key combination (It probably won't recognise FN without a kernel module)
Old 19th April 2008, 04:52 AM
myanatadesmond Offline

xhotkeys

ok, things like brightness up/down, volume up/down using the Fn key did work in FC8 on my laptop.
Currently im using xhotkeys, can't use the Fn key though, but windows key+F10 did eject the optical drive using the eject command. Why don't i press the drive eject button? Well, i just want to explore and have some fun.
Old 21st April 2008, 04:25 AM
A.Serbinski Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by myanatadesmond
ok, things like brightness up/down, volume up/down using the Fn key did work in FC8 on my laptop.
The Fn key is not as concrete as other keys on the board. Only SOME combinations map as key presses, and at that, its the COMBINATION that maps as a single key, they don't map separately. Take a regular multimedia keyboard for example. They don't have a Fn key, but they do have such things as volume keys. The volume keys are mapped to the volume function the same on a laptop as on a regular multimedia keyboard. Brightness on the other hand is NOT mapped as a key and cannot be detected by the OS (at least not directly). It is handled by the BIOS.
Quote:
Currently im using xhotkeys, can't use the Fn key though, but windows key+F10 did eject the optical drive using the eject command. Why don't i press the drive eject button? Well, i just want to explore and have some fun.
Yes that will work fine because the "Super" key (thats how its referred to outside of evil bill's empire) maps as a regular key.

Now I'm not saying that you can't detect the key combination, just that it will be much more involved than reading a key code.

Tags
drive, eject, optical