Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th April 2008, 03:05 PM
hlcantony Offline

Can Fedora LiveCD boot from CD-RW?

I hope to boot Fedora 8 form CD-RW so that I can reuse it when the system is installed to hard disk.

I am wondering if the format of CD-RW is a bit different from CD-R.
Old 26th April 2008, 07:15 PM
Lukast Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlcantony
I hope to boot Fedora 8 form CD-RW so that I can reuse it when the system is installed to hard disk.

I am wondering if the format of CD-RW is a bit different from CD-R.
If you burn the iso to the CD-RW, you will not feel any differences between CD-R or CD-RW.
Old 28th April 2008, 02:15 PM
hlcantony Offline

Booting failed

I hope you are right, but I cannot boot the liveCD from CD-RW.

Downloading via BT should be fine, and I have verified the iso file with SHA1SUM.

I burned the CD-RW several times using default gnome CD/DVD Creator and then the gnomebaker. Fedora 7 can mount the CD-RW every time I put it into the tray, so I guess the burning process is ok.

But I can never reach the splash screen of Fedora 8 when I reboot the computer. It just stops at "Extracting isolinuz" followed by random number of dots, then displaying an error, and require me to reboot again and again.

That's why I ask whether the liveCD's iso is not suitable for CD-RW format.
Old 28th April 2008, 02:25 PM
hlcantony Offline

another question

Well I searched the internet about booting issue using cd-rw. what comes up is that I can never boot a live cd from any cd-rw:

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/lofivers...p/t134230.html

so sad I can't reuse the CDs!
Old 28th April 2008, 06:24 PM
stoat Offline

Hello everybody,

I have always had intermittent problems using rewritable disks (CDs and DVDs). Sometimes they are recognized and work. Sometime not. Video on rewritable DVDs often will not play back in all of my household DVD players. And I should also mention the slower burning speeds that they usually require. So to sum up, I don't buy those things anymore. And it works out okay since even Taiyo-Yuden CDs and DVDs can be bought for 25 to 30 cents each nowadays. Besides, that LiveCD you want to make should be kept anyway. It is a very useful utility for repairs to hard drive based Fedora systems.

P.S.: Here is some more bad news. Even when you use a record-only disk, I think you should choose the option to finalize the session (no more burning allowed on that disk) when the most reliable results are desired. Not codified law. Just me.

P.P.S.: More. Sometimes Fedora DVDs created from ISO files work more reliably if burned at less than the maximum rated speed of the disk. I have burned many at full speed and they usually work. But I also slow down sometimes (maybe 1/2 x max).

Last edited by stoat; 29th April 2008 at 01:31 PM.
Old 15th May 2008, 11:52 PM
Mr.GNOME Offline

Both CD-RWs and DVD+RWs work fine for me. BUT not every disk in every drive... try!
Old 16th May 2008, 01:19 AM
ryptyde Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlcantony
Well I searched the internet about booting issue using cd-rw. what comes up is that I can never boot a live cd from any cd-rw:

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/lofivers...p/t134230.html

so sad I can't reuse the CDs!
I have used and reused CD-RW and DVD-RW to write live images and just recently used a Sony mini DVD-RW 1.4GB to write the F9 LiveCD.iso to. Booted it and ran it from a Acer laptop. The DVD-RW previously had Fedora 8 Test 2 on it and a quick format and rewrite of F9 works fine.

If you can boot from a usb pendrive that works well also and is easy to reuse the drive.

Tags
boot, cdrw, fedora, livecd