Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th April 2008, 06:06 AM
gundark Offline

pulse audio problems

Ok so I have been googling for a few hours and nothing really seems to work to fix this, am I the only one having this problem?

Fresh fedora 9 preview install, with all of the current updates. I have a brand new Dell Inspiron 1525n (the n stands for linux, pre-installed) yea Linux! Ubuntu works great, which sucks because I love fedora. At least I have the dual boot, my problem, no sound at all. I couldn't get paman to connect to my sound server until I added my user to pulse-rt in /etc/group, now that at least works, but still no sound.

The only other thing I have is the error output from /var/log/messages

Code:
pulseaudio[2409]: polkit.c: Cannot set UID on session object.
pulseaudio[2409]: main.c: Called SUID root and real-time/high-priority scheduling was requested in the configuration. However, we lack the necessary priviliges:
pulseaudio[2409]: main.c: We are not in group 'pulse-rt' and PolicyKit refuse to grant us priviliges. Dropping SUID again.
pulseaudio[2409]: main.c: For enabling real-time scheduling please acquire the appropriate PolicyKit priviliges, or become a member of 'pulse-rt', or increase the RLIMIT_NICE/RLIMIT_RTPRIO resource limits for this user.
pulseaudio[2409]: main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_NICE, (31, 31)) failed: Operation not permitted
pulseaudio[2409]: main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_RTPRIO, (9, 9)) failed: Operation not permitted
oh and
Code:
pulseaudio[2723]: module-x11-xsmp.c: X11 session manager not running.
pulseaudio[2723]: module.c: Failed to load  module "module-x11-xsmp" (argument: ""): initialization failed.
So gods of the Fedora Forum, help...
Old 2nd May 2008, 04:07 PM
ovadyah Offline

I too have no sound on an older Inspiron 1100. There are "pops" coming out of the speakers (even when speakers are muted) when there should be a sound.
Registered Linux User #452472

Homebuilt = athlon II x2 F19
Dell Inspiron = Sempron 140 W8
Old 3rd May 2008, 06:40 AM
Zlobniy Shurik Offline

I have no sound too. Hardware - Gigabyte P965 DS3 rev 1.0 (ICH8+ALC883).
The soundcard is detected as Intel HDA. I am check all sound-outputs (front, side e.t.c.) without success (no sound in any output).
I have no such problem in Fedora 6-8.
Server smolt profile
Workstation smolt profile
Reserve Workstation smolt profile
Old 3rd May 2008, 02:22 PM
Vizard Offline

We seem to have the same problem.

Problem: Our sound output is muted after every boot.

Solution: Turn the sound on via kmixer or something like that.

I found no permanent solution yet, because of lack of time. Maybe anyone else know something better.
Old 3rd May 2008, 03:38 PM
Zlobniy Shurik Offline

I think that it is no mute in my case... Well, there are no active mute icons in sound-mixer.

I tried to change signal levels on all regulators, switched from 6ch to 8ch mode (really I have stereo speakers). I got silence only from any output.
Server smolt profile
Workstation smolt profile
Reserve Workstation smolt profile
Old 3rd May 2008, 03:43 PM
mbokil Offline

Quote:
There are "pops" coming out of the speakers (even when speakers are muted) when there should be a sound
I also experience this too. I found it too annoying to listen to music with. Solution: I removed pulseaudio and everything improved. No more lag on videos, etc. I will try PA again in Fedora 10. It is curious though that Ubuntu users are reporting a smoother experience with PA. Makes me interested to know how they configured it versus the way Fedora is doing it.
Nvidia Gforce 6200
Mozilla Seamonkey 1.1.9 browser with MonkeyMenu Extension

Last edited by mbokil; 3rd May 2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old 3rd May 2008, 09:50 PM
gundark Offline

anyone know how to get rid of pulse audio then?
Old 4th May 2008, 02:51 AM
nbecker Offline

Try run pavucontrol
Old 4th May 2008, 04:11 AM
ovadyah Offline

I shall try and remove pulse audio with yum or yumex when I get back to my machine. I too have not had any sound issues from f6-8. Shall have to see what else is available.

Old 4th May 2008, 05:32 AM
gundark Offline

ok so on my dell inspiron 1525n it turns out its a bug in the kernel and alsa is not configuring my sound card or something, it sucks that it is marked as a low priority bug, but heck I don't even know what that means so no sound for me and I just have to wait, unless someone knows of a work around
Old 5th May 2008, 03:58 PM
ovadyah Offline

A warning, perhaps. I tried removing the pulse audio with yumex. I have semi trashed my installation. Boots to a non graphical login and seems to be wacked pretty bad. I have tried re-installing pulse to no avail,,,,,,perhaps I installed/removed something else.
Looks like a re-install from the live CD.

Tags
audio, problems, pulse