Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st May 2008, 10:20 PM
Cidolfas Offline

black screen starting mplayer

I'm having an issue with Fedora and mplayer.

When I start (g)mplayer, my whole screen goes black for a second, comes back on and everything is fine. When I close the application, the whole screen goes black again for a second and comes back on again.

When I change a video option in the preferences of mplayer the problem temporary disappears, but after a while it comes back again.

It looks like the screen (or X) needs to initialise itself when I'm starting, or closing, mplayer. Video's play fine, it's just starting at closing the application that causes a minor problem.

Anyone experiencing something similar? I'm quite puzzled, as the problem goes away for a short period of time when I change a video option in mplayer...
Old 2nd May 2008, 05:58 PM
Cidolfas Offline

Nobody has this issue? I have it on my laptop and desktop (both use the fglrx packages from livna).

It turns out it's not the changing of options in mplayer that stops the problem, it's starting two instances of mplayer simultainiously.

So:

- start mplayer: 1 second black screen
- stop mplayer: 1 second black screen

- start a second instance of mplayer with the first still open: no problems

Now I can close all instances of mplayer, and start/stop them without the black screen. When I leave my PC for like 15 minutes, come back and try again: 1 second black screen.

I'm quite lost on where to look for a solution, because I've no idea what the source of the problem is. (the livna driver, xorg, mplayer, codec)

Tags
black, mplayer, screen, starting