Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd May 2008, 02:34 PM
Cyberman Offline

Can I mount NTFS partition after booting Fedora in rescue mode?

It seems Fedora 7.0 has some problems with other operating system. We set up XP loader to load Fedora, sometime Fedora can't boot, just print GRUB and stopped, I have to reboot with CDROM in rescue mode and reinstall GRUB and then generate the file for XP to use.

The problem is in that condition 'modprobe fuse' will failed, so I can't generate the file directly to XP partition, I have to use network to copy the file out, and reboot XP and replace the file, and reboot to choose Fedora again.
Old 3rd May 2008, 04:55 PM
stoat Offline

Hello Cyberman,

You should make yourself a Fedora LiveCD to do repairs such as that. It comes in handy in situations like you just described. With it you can mount your hard drive based system, use the dd command to copy that GRUB stage to a binary file, then copy it directly to the XP root directory.

P.S.: When the LiveCDs first arrived with Fedora 7, I wondered what I would want that for? Lately, I have used it for repairs that would have been difficult (for me anyway) to accomplish in the traditional linux rescue.

Last edited by stoat; 3rd May 2008 at 09:06 PM.
Old 4th May 2008, 02:23 AM
Cyberman Offline

Thanks. I'll try it out.
Old 7th May 2008, 04:01 PM
Cyberman Offline

I've tried it out. The live CD is very slow to boot since it will start the GNOME and it try to mount many things automatically.

Tags
booting, fedora, mode, mount, ntfs, partition, rescue