Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th May 2008, 07:46 AM
qo_ Offline

Heads up: Fedora 8 latest security update kernel break nvidia due to missing kmod

Sigh. What was working quit working after today's (20080514) security update. On bootup, nvidia driver is not found for current kernel.

I'd recommend not installing it...
Old 15th May 2008, 08:22 AM
ozjd Online

I noticed in the dependencies that it was going to delete kmod-nvidia so I stopped it there. hopefully the updated driver will be out in a day or two.
Old 15th May 2008, 08:34 AM
thunderogg Offline

If you have a a kernel update, never update unless there is a matching nvidia update too or the other way around. They come in pairs!!
Asus P8Z68-V, Intel Core i7 2600K, 16GB Geil DDR 1600v, 120 GB SSD Intel 520, 120 GB OCZ Vertex3, 1TB ST1000DM003, Nvidia GTX 650, SyncMaster SA300B, Logitech Illuminate Keyboard, Kensington Expert Mouse.
Old 15th May 2008, 08:40 AM
leigh123linux

I have renamed the thread as it is a livna nvidia driver issue.
Old 15th May 2008, 09:29 AM
qo_ Offline

Thanks all. I'll take thunderogg's and ozjd's advice from now on! Meanwhile, will slog along with one monitor until the next update :-)

qo

Last edited by qo_; 15th May 2008 at 09:40 AM.
Old 15th May 2008, 11:40 PM
ozjd Online

have just noticed updated kmod-nvidia packages are now available. it looks safe to update again.
Old 16th May 2008, 06:37 AM
qo_ Offline

I probably did something stooopid, but ended up with driver and kernel module version mismatch.

The following fixed it (probably could have been done easier some other way, but this worked for me)

yum remove kmod-nvidia
yum remove xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.x86_64
yum install xorg-x11-drv-nvidia

The last line took care of reinstalling all the dependencies.

gForce 8800GTS, dual head, compiz all working again now, yeah! :-)

Again, thanks all!
Old 16th May 2008, 07:39 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

For the record, there is nothing wrong with updating the kernel - as long as you don't try to (re)boot into that kernel until you also have the matching kmods. Like the kernel, you can have multiple kmods - one to match each kernel - installed at the same time. Old kmods will be removed at the same time that older kernels are also rotated out.

V
Old 16th May 2008, 08:09 AM
ozjd Online

the dependencies screen said it was removing kmod-nvidia when the update first appeared. That was when I stopped it and waited for it to catch up. when the updated kmod was available it still said it was removing the earlier one.
Old 16th May 2008, 08:29 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozjd
the dependencies screen said it was removing kmod-nvidia when the update first appeared. That was when I stopped it and waited for it to catch up. when the updated kmod was available it still said it was removing the earlier one.
Of course: when the oldest kernel is removed, all matching kmods are also removed as well....

You can look at the version numbers to verify. You can also do what myself and a lot of others do: tell yum to keep more than two kernels (and so more than two kmods, etc.). Change (as root user) /etc/yum.conf to read:
installonly_limit=5

Now it will keep five kernels (and matching kmods, etc.). The oldest one is removed when the newest ("sixth") one is installed. You must have HDD space on /boot partition for all (5) kernels (default /boot is 100 MB about enough for seven kernels).

V
Old 16th May 2008, 10:19 AM
thunderogg Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlingler
You can look at the version numbers to verify. You can also do what myself and a lot of others do: tell yum to keep more than two kernels (and so more than two kmods, etc.). Change (as root user) /etc/yum.conf to read:
installonly_limit=5

Now it will keep five kernels (and matching kmods, etc.). The oldest one is removed when the newest ("sixth") one is installed. You must have HDD space on /boot partition for all (5) kernels (default /boot is 100 MB about enough for seven kernels
Good to know. Thanks!
Asus P8Z68-V, Intel Core i7 2600K, 16GB Geil DDR 1600v, 120 GB SSD Intel 520, 120 GB OCZ Vertex3, 1TB ST1000DM003, Nvidia GTX 650, SyncMaster SA300B, Logitech Illuminate Keyboard, Kensington Expert Mouse.
Old 16th May 2008, 11:16 PM
ozjd Online

interesting info thanks

Tags
break, fedora, heads, kernel, kmod, latest, missing, nvidia, security, update