Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th May 2008, 10:26 PM
snipes23 Offline

F8 Wont install, dual boot with xp, hdd problem?

So I have about 90 gigs for xp, and 60 unformatted space so I could install linux. I had problems at first when set boot to cd, it would still go to hdd and boot up xp. Got that fixed, but now that I have it boot up to linux, it wont let me get past partition part. For some reason it is not finding the harddrive? Any ideas? Thanks guys
Old 16th May 2008, 01:20 AM
snipes23 Offline

cd rom set to slave, hdd looks like it has jumper, but nothing in place. Unforunately, I dont have model for the hdd, I know its a maxtor, just not sure if I should fool around with the hd jumpers. Any ideas?
Old 16th May 2008, 02:02 AM
stoat Offline

Hello snipes23,

So I guess that means the hard drive is an IDE drive. Right? Then try jumpering the drive to cable select (CS) if you are using an 80-conductor IDE cable. And you probably should be because a drive of that size is going to be new enough to be beyond ATA-66 and therefore need an 80-conductor cable. Well, as it happens, those cables also support cable select. If the CD drive is on that same cable (and it sounds like it is), set it to cable select, too. The master will be the drive at the end of the cable. That simple thing sometimes works for this issue. No promises though. You can also try other physical layout arrangements such as putting the CD drive on a separate IDE cable.

Last edited by stoat; 16th May 2008 at 02:11 AM.
Old 16th May 2008, 02:07 AM
snipes23 Offline

no hdd is sata, cdrom is ide. The cdrom was set to master, so I got that all set up for slave. Just gotta figure out the hdd problem
Old 16th May 2008, 02:20 AM
stoat Offline

Okay. Well, the jumper on a Maxtor SATA drive could be for SATA (1.5 Gbit/s) or SATA-II (3 Gbit/s). That needs to be set to be compatible with your controller. But who knows? Download the User Guide from Maxtor (now Seagate) and look that up.

Consider looking in your BIOS setup program and trying something different vis-vis the settings for Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI). I have seen changes in that also make a difference in these cases. Still, no promises.

Last edited by stoat; 16th May 2008 at 02:37 AM.
Old 16th May 2008, 02:28 AM
snipes23 Offline

will check it out thanks, I also have another idea from searching about my mobo. I guess one guy had to hook the sata to port 5 or 6 to get linux to work, gonna try that first, wish me luck. Hopefully tonight I'll have linux installed, crossing fingers.
Old 17th May 2008, 03:15 AM
snipes23 Offline

well got it all set, was the cable problem, damn ip35pro mobo lol

Tags
boot, dual, hdd, install, problem