Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th May 2008, 11:01 AM
Chomo-Uri Offline

Back-ing-up Up-dates?

I have extremely limited bandwidth, and downloading all the updates multiple times should only be a last resort if I need to reinstall Fedora 8 with different partitions/user accounts/dual boot/etc.

How can I backup all the updates I have downloaded?
Old 16th May 2008, 11:07 AM
Dangermouse Offline
Administrator - (On Leave)

Hi what i do is set yum to keep cache gedit /etc/yum.conf and change the line keepcache=0 to keepcache=1, then make a repo from the rpms in /var/cache/yum
http://dnmouse.webs.com/creatrepo.html
Old 16th May 2008, 12:45 PM
Chomo-Uri Offline

Thank you, this is (or could have been) exactly what I was looking for.
I installed off a LiveCD, and then downloaded updates and packages. /var/cache/yum totals 110 megabytes after I added the keepcache=1 parameter. I thought I had downloaded ~15 gigs of updates. I don't understand this step from your website:
"Next put all the rpms that you want in your repo, ..."
Either I have a ton of rpms that are sitting somewhere, or I just grossly misjudged the size of the files that I downloaded.

I think I need more time to actually know where files are, I just don't understand the filing system that Fedora uses. I'm using KDE, so I worked out that "gedit" was for GNOME, but the way that Fedora (and I'm assuming any non-Windows) systems organizes system files is just beyond me.

Tags
backingup, updates