Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd May 2008, 10:48 PM
beno1990 Offline

I/O errors when kernel boots and setup reports broken BIOS

Okay, here's my problem. I'm trying to boot into Fedora 8, which I reinstalled earlier today. When I go to boot into FC8, everything goes smoothly, the kernel boots and starts nash, and then just before the point where udev would normally start, I get errors, as shown in my first photo. From this point, X doesn't start and it just seems to eternally cycle through machine code and I/O errors.

So, I figured I'd try to install Fedora again, in case the install was corrupted. When starting up, just after the POST Screen, I get my second photo. However, the installer starts ok and it even lets me install Fedora graphically, with the keyboard and mouse working as usual. Once installed, when I go to reboot, I get the same errors as when I first installed Fedora.

I've tried resetting my CMOS, to no avail, I've tried booting from a live disc, to no avail, it gives the same error as when I install Fedora 8 from the install disc.

I've tried everything I can think of so far, and I really really don't want my BIOS to be fried, as you can probably imagine. I'd much appreciate any help or suggestions anyone has for this.

Thanks in advance to everyone who reads this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0024.JPG (636.8 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0025.JPG (660.0 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by beno1990; 23rd May 2008 at 10:55 PM.

Tags
bios, boots, broken, errors, i or o, kernel, reports, setup