Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd June 2008, 08:33 PM
treadlefish Offline

wireless expresscard

Are expresscards supported in Linux? I bought a new laptop a couple of months ago. Toshiba Satellite A205-S5804. It runs like a champ, except for the wireless problem.

This laptop comes with the Realtek rtl8187b internal wireless. It's an internal usb. The tale of trying to get this thing to run involves 3 different distros and a LOT of time. I've tried everything. Nothing works. Learned a lot in the process though.

So I pulled the PCMCIA card off my old laptop and tried that. It didn't fit in the slot. Hmmm. Called Toshiba and asked about this. They told me it took an expresscard. New one on me. I took the opportunity to complain about the Realtek card - nicely, since Toshiba is friendly toward Linux generally. The support lady said she'd pass it on and actually sounded like she meant it.

The expresscard is a Linksys wec600n, which has a Broadcom chip in it. One which is unsupported by the kernel modules for Broadcom and fwcutter. This part I think I could get going with ndiswrapper, but the card isn't recognized when inserted.

I'd like to use the expresscard if I can. This laptop only has 2 usb ports. Also, I'm lefthanded and the belkin usb adapter I'm using gets seriously in my way.

Anybody know anything about expresscards? I'm on Fedora 9, btw.

Thanks,
Sarah

Tags
expresscard, wireless