Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Servers & Networking
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Servers & Networking Discuss any Fedora server problems and Networking issues such as dhcp, IP numbers, wlan, modems, etc.

Old 5th June 2008, 06:36 AM
lcsfsr1 Offline

Question Joining linux pc with FC9 to Windows Server 2003 domain & Need to Install Squid Proxy

Hello,
I am a Windows Network Administrator. My company has over 400 pcs, 30 servers and about 70 printers. The servers are all Windows Server 2003.

This is the problem that I am currently facing:
We have no proxy...no way of of tracking a users' activity within the network (i.e. using computers and printers for personal needs)...we currently have someone in a certain department that is printing/using hundreds of sheets of paper and toner which is costing a total of about $180.00 a month. We also have no way of tracking where employees are going on the internet. There is also no way of knowing what individuals/hackers are doing on the outside of the network as far as external network attacks against our network.

So far, I have installed Fedora Core 9 on a pc. I have got this linux pc online. It has a static ip.

First thing that I would like to do is make this linux pc a member of the Windows Domain / Active Directory??? I have heard that you can join a linux machine to Active Directory with WinBind.

My problem is that I do not know what to enter [in under the WinBind configuration area] for the (WinBind Domain)???
What should be selected for the (Security Model)???
What should be entered for the (WinBind ADS Realm)???
What should be entered for the (WinBind Domain Controller)???
Which (Template Shell) should be selected???

I have never used linux in a network environment...so if it is possible I would like for the "Way to Login" be somewhat similiar to the Windows Network Login.

Can someone please help me figure out what to enter/select for these entries???

I would like to install something like the Squid Proxy (if this is the best software that will help monitor/track internet/intranet activities).

Is this Squid Proxy software what I need to use to monitor/report all internet/intranet activities???

Can someone help me get the correct software (that does what I need it to do) installed and configured???

Thank you

Bobby
Old 6th June 2008, 12:05 PM
KKJensen Offline

If this is for production use I wouldn't recommend F9. It has a new, unreleased version of samba which has some bugs with ADS 2003 authentication. I'm trying to resolve this on my laptop as I don't want to run a different os just because I haul it to work every now and then. I would recommend downloading centos 5 if you are looking for a free os. I've joined numerous systems to a domain and it's a bit involved but allows any windows account to log into the machine etc etc. Just google "how to join active directory 2003" I found a good article that worked for me and printed it for late reference...and left it at my office. Give this a shot: here
Old 6th June 2008, 02:45 PM
soxfan Offline

First off, I totally agree with the previous poster. Do not use Fedora 9 for a server with what you are trying to do. Even beyond the fact that F9 has some issues, just in general Fedora changes too much to be used with a production server. You will find yourself in almost continuous "upgrade mode". As KKJensen suggested, try CentOS. It is basically the same as RedHat Enterprise Linux; it is rock solid for use with a server.

As far as what you are trying to accomplish you need to define it a little better. You mention printing. What you could do here is setup Samba and CUPS on the Linux server. There's tons of documentation out there on how to do this.

For Internet/Intranet activity, Squid is a proxy server and if you set it up properly it can log all activity. Keep in mind that you will have to find a way to make all the client PC's use the proxy server, so this will involve changes to your network. By default Squid will not require any authentication, but can be setup with Samba for AD integration. Here is a link that I used to set this up on one of my servers. You also may want to look into software that can work in conjunction with Squid to restrict and limit Internet usage; Squidguard is one that comes to mind.

As for the specific Samba questions:
Security Model - depends on what you really want to do. ADS provides full AD integration, but can be a bit tricky to setup (at least it has been for me). DOMAIN security model is more of like a NT domain model, but it does work with AD and is much easier to setup.
ADS Realm - This is basically your fully qualified Active Directory Domain. So, YOURDOMAIN.COM, YOURDOMAIN.LOCAL, something like that. - You only need to set this up is you end up using ADS security
ADS Domain Controller - This is the IP address (you may also be able to use the FQDN) of your Active Directory Domain Controller.
Template Shell - I always just use /bin/bash. Honestly I'm not really even sure what this is used for.

The Samba documentation is excellent. I'd recommend going to the Samba web site and starting with the Official HOWTO.
Old 6th June 2008, 04:28 PM
H@rry Offline

If you are not familiar with Linux, then Webmin might be handy.

http://www.webmin.com/download.html

Tags
2003, domain, fc9, install, joining, linux, proxy, server, squid, windows