Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th June 2008, 01:20 AM
cloneu2 Offline

EXT4 and fsck problem

Power blinked and my battery bakup didn't hold. It messed up a drive that is formated with ext4dev. fsck will not run and i need to fix it. What is out there? I have searched and found nothing..

Tks

:eek:-<CloneU2>- :eek:
Powered By A Fedora-15 (x86_64) Engine !
| EVGA nForce 680i SLI Motherboard | Intel-Q9400 2.66Ghz@3.4 Ghz With ULTRA ChillTek-(100% Load @ 97 F) | 8Gigs OCZ SLI Ram (2)| WD 320 gig hd | (2) WD 500 gig HD in Raid0| |Nvidia GTX 470 (superclocked) |650W PS | TV card | WIFI card |NZXT case|
Old 8th June 2008, 02:00 AM
stevea Offline

READ THE RELEASE NOTES !
"The e2fsprogs userspace tools shipping with Fedora 9 are not yet fully ext4-capable. In particular, fsck ability is limited". So you *may* do better by loading the latestr tools from the ext4 developers.

I assume you didn't put anything important on an ext4 fs yet. Ted T'So the developer of ext4 (and others stuff) has said it is NOT ready for production use - (only experimental). I posted the same on this forum half a dozen times.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraExt4

If not, then realize that lessons learned the hard way are usually learned well.
Old 8th June 2008, 02:26 AM
SlowJet Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloneu2
Power blinked and my battery bakup didn't hold. It messed up a drive that is formated with ext4dev. fsck will not run and i need to fix it. What is out there? I have searched and found nothing..

Tks

I've run EXT4 for months now and have had 3 dramatic power outages from blow transformers to lightening stricks.
Had at least 20 system freezes, reboots for gui hang ups.
But the journal (now checksummed for ext4) has always recovered the file system.

What messages or information are you getting that tells you the file system is messed up?
That would be good to know.

SJ
Old 8th June 2008, 02:29 AM
leigh123linux

Here's a srpm you can build ( e2fsprogs-1.41 )

http://www.4shared.com/file/50503814...1-1fc9src.html
Old 8th June 2008, 07:59 PM
cloneu2 Offline

Thanks for the help. I used Leigh123's program and was able to do some more damage. I booted with the rawhide drive and tried to fix the f9 drive. since it is ext4 it would not mount. So after playing for a while I just said "Oh what the Hell and formatted the thing with ext4dev again. Hate to have to re setup everything BUT I had trashed the lovely KDE with an upgrade to the rawhide version. SO now 1 drive with F9 left STABLE and 1 drive with rawhide to play with.....
enjoy

:eek:-<CloneU2>- :eek: