Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th June 2008, 07:50 AM
nonlin Offline

user@domain bounced back to root though user has a mail box

Dear All,

I am having several problems setting up the sendmail demond on fedora 3. My current problem is with getting email addressed to users on the sever to go to there accounts under different domain names. Let me give you an example:

On the server a I have:
A mail box for the root
A mail box for a user named kevin
and a domain name www.marktest1.com known as a virtual host
plus, I am doing everything locally with in the same machine. (I have not figured out how to get server to send email out the internet itself yet, though it is recognizing the service it need to send them to, But that's for another subject latter on).

Now if you send an email to kevin@localhost (you know severs name) the email arrives in kevin's box perfectly. But Kevin is sappiest to be a user under www.marktest1.com.
So if I send an email to kevin@marktest1.com the email is bounded back to the root box a undeliverable.

Now, hear is what's so frustrating. I have been spending day and day trying to find documentation on this subject and have found so little its embarrassing.
The book that came with fedora says that it will explain how to set up an MX records and then never dose.
The aliases file doesn't seem to support domain name so can't see how that can help me.
I finally got sneaky and scanned anther server I was managing for an email address I knew was on it, and I discovered the "vertusertable". Aha!!! You were hiding from me!
So, when I tried to find dominations on the vertusertalbe. The documents I found was for mailman witch isn't even running on my machine and it looks like send mail can use the vertusertable with out the need for mailman.
So finally I gave it a shot.
put kevin@www.marktest1.com kevin into the vertusertable
run makemap hash vertusertable <vertusertable
retstarted sendmail and xinetd
and send a peace of mail.

Nothing Changed.

I now have a clump of my heir in my hand, because I know I must be so close.

Can anyone shed some light on this.

Last edited by nonlin; 28th June 2008 at 07:56 AM. Reason: I miss spelled some words
Old 28th June 2008, 09:49 AM
marcrblevins Offline

sendmail sends, but did you get your receiving daemon going? Try dovecot. Once you get that going then you probably won't get the undeliverable message.
Old 28th June 2008, 12:17 PM
nonlin Offline

Dear marcrblevins,

Thank you for your incredibly fast response.

Yes, I have tried sending an email with dovecot running and not running, and got the same results. The only demond I am not running right now the saslauthd witch I am onshore if I should be running since I believe dovecot has its own sasl built in. But Thank's for the segestion so far, its helping to keep this in perspectove.

Anyway, hear a little bit more info:
The diagnostic code that is coming back with the email is: SMTP; 550 Host unknown

By the way I tried a little experiment by sending an email to kevin@www.marktest1.com and it has not come back, and it has not gone into Kevin's box ether. It just despaired! Interesting because I had included the www in the vire user table file so there was a true match. Maybe I will get a return after 4 hours, who knows.

Anyway, I am shore there has to be a couple of files that I need to modify, Just starting dovecot seems to simple, what about MX records, or be able to tell the system there is kevin@doman_A and a kevin@domain_B and how to tell them apart. I am shore I have some home work to do.
Old 29th June 2008, 01:50 AM
marcrblevins Offline

You need to check if the ports are open and port-forward.

Can you run SheildsUp from www.grc.com to see of port 25 is open for sendmail and other ports for dovcot?
The ports for receiving part is listed in /etc/services:
Code:
imap            143/tcp         imap2           # Interim Mail Access Proto v2
imap            143/udp         imap2
pop3            110/tcp         pop-3           # POP version 3
pop3            110/udp         pop-3
imaps           993/tcp                         # IMAP over SSL
imaps           993/udp                         # IMAP over SSL
pop3s           995/tcp                         # POP-3 over SSL
pop3s           995/udp                         # POP-3 over SSL
Old 29th June 2008, 01:59 AM
marcrblevins Offline

I believe you need to setup the MX record since your web address is different than your mail server address.

My rig, both are the same and I don't use MX record with www.dyndns.com.
Old 29th June 2008, 05:56 AM
nonlin Offline

Dear marcrblevins,

As to your first post. My system is not yet connected to the internet so I can not use web basted services like grc or dyndns yet.

But I do have nmap which generates a similar result to grc.

[root@mark ~]# nmap -A -T4 192.168.1.108

Starting nmap 3.70 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2008-06-29 00:06 EDT
Insufficient responses for TCP sequencing (1), OS detection may be less accurateInteresting ports on mark.main (192.168.1.108):
(The 1644 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
PORT STATE SERVICE VERSION
21/tcp open ftp vsFTPd 2.0.1
22/tcp open ssh OpenSSH 3.9p1 (protocol 1.99)
25/tcp open smtp Sendmail 8.13.1/8.13.1
80/tcp open http Apache httpd 2.0.52 ((Fedora))
110/tcp open pop3 Dovecot pop3d
111/tcp open rpcbind 2 (rpc #100000)
139/tcp open netbios-ssn Samba smbd 3.X (workgroup: WORKGROUP)
143/tcp open imap Dovecot imapd
443/tcp open http Apache httpd 2.0.52 ((Fedora))
445/tcp open netbios-ssn Samba smbd 3.X (workgroup: WORKGROUP)
991/tcp open rquotad 1-2 (rpc #100011)
993/tcp open ssl/imap Dovecot imapd
995/tcp open ssl/pop3 Dovecot pop3d
1010/tcp open mountd 1-3 (rpc #100005)
2049/tcp open nfs?
32770/tcp open sometimes-rpc3?
Device type: general purpose
Running: Linux 2.4.X|2.5.X|2.6.X
OS details: Linux 2.4.0 - 2.5.20, Gentoo 1.2 linux (Kernel 2.4.19-gentoo-rc5), Linux 2.4.20, Linux 2.4.20 - 2.4.22 w/grsecurity.org patch, Linux 2.5.25 - 2.6.3 or Gentoo 1.2 Linux 2.4.19 rc1-rc7)

Nmap-run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 22.194 seconds

As you can see I have not even set up a fire wall yet. I though it best to make shore things are working before I complicate them.
One question though. I am sending an email from one address to another address on the same machine, so should it even attempt to connect to another computer when it knows that the destination is with in it's own system?

Anyway, to your second posting. Yes, Yes, I was hoping that some one would say it. I need MX records! Just How the F@%!%&^G do you make them? Hopefully there is some good documentation on this subject some where, it's just that I haven't been able to find it. So, Do you have a good idea where go for info on how to make and manage MX records?
Old 29th June 2008, 08:39 AM
marcrblevins Offline

You really need to setup your web hosting address with someone and the MX record there. The MX record is NOT stored on your box.
Old 2nd July 2008, 10:33 AM
cantlep Offline

Hiya, are you still having trouble with this?
Old 2nd July 2008, 09:09 PM
nonlin Offline

Hi cantlep,

I'm just about to make anther post. Since marcrblevins led me to a sort of dead end. I have been working on this problem even more and have Learned a lot. And I want to share what I have found with you all. As it stands I have found a way to make it work, But I am not shore if its the right way or if I had figered out a way to work around the problem. So I am still optn to heareing your feed back. Ether way I will posting my results in a day to so.

Thank you.
Old 8th July 2008, 01:25 PM
nonlin Offline

Dear Guys,

Hear is a report on my findings on how to get emails excepted into other users boxes.

Now, as you should all know, my system is on a local network and is not able to serve the internet, so the uses of external services (to scan my machine or to host any DNS records) was completely out of the question. I had no chose in the matter, it had to be dun all locally.

First I went all over the net and found a hold bunch a resources that explain more.

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/dns.htm < this has some grate samples of DNS files and how to use them, some worming, and includes MX Records.

http://www.topology.org/linux/mx.html < gave me some additional info on MX Records.

http://www.linuxselfhelp.com/quick/sendmail.html < has a simple tutorial on how to set up sendmail and SMTP, It not only covers the MX Records, but it also covers the very important local-host-names file witch is the main reason for a host not found error. A little skimpy on samples though.

With that Said, Let me tell you what I did to get it to work.

1). I already know that I had to set up my users in the etc/mail/virtusertable Like this:
kevin@www.marktest1.com kevin

You then have to make it into a map such as this
makemap hash /etc/mail/virtusertable.db < /etc/mail/virtusertable

2). Now for the missing Link. The /etc/mail/local-host-names file. The File that tells the email system that the host yes in dead, is HERE!
Enter your hosts like this:
www.marktest1.com
marktest1.com
It seems important to do both the www and non www, and mail.marktest1.com if you are using that. ect.

It also looks like we don't need to turn this into a map.

3). Even though much of the decimation (listed above) give you lots of info on how to set up DNS records, I find it very easy to get the syntax wrong. So I preferred to us a little Gui program called: system-config-bind. I can find it on the Applications menu under system_settings/server_settings/Domain Name System. (If you don't have it installed, you can use YUM to get it).
So what you do is click on NEW, choose ZONE, and I find the defaults just fine, click ok for Class: IN internet and Origin Type: Forward so they revels the Forward Zone Origin fill in form and fill in your domain (no www) and make shore to end it with a pried. and clink on main ok button. The defaults on the next page are usually fine so just press ok to finish the record.

4). Now its time to make the MX Records.
Select the Zone record you just made (you may have trouble finding it, at least I did) and click on new and select MX (Mail Exchange). The top will be right so set your priority and then put in the mail server name the fill name of your mail server with the www. or mail. prefix (I.E. www.marktest1.com or mail.marktest1.com ).

And that's about it. Now I am still not the authority on this subject, So if anyone sees something I missed or something I had not gotten quite right, please let me know. Because I have the funny suspicion that if I were to disable the MX records, It would still work and that's not right.

Thank you all for you help and hope you find this somewhat helpful.

Tags
bounced, box, mail, root, user, user@domain