Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th June 2008, 10:34 AM
mdim Offline

NetworkManager and wpa_supplicant at user login in FC9

Hi!

Few days ago I've installed Fedora 9, and found out there is a DBus. Friend of mine told me NetworkManager looks into the DBus to see if there is Internet connection. I use wpa_supplicant manually to authenticate on LAN DHCP server to gain access to the outer world - as a root I run:

Code:
[root@tuvok ~]# wpa_supplicant -D wired -i eth0 -c /path/to/config/file -B
[root@tuvok ~]# ifdown eth0
[root@tuvok ~]# ifup eth0
So, before typing those commands, when I login to KDE, NetworkManager Applet 0.7.0 tells me there is no wired connection. Then I open konsole and run the commands written above. That applet still tells me there is no wired connection, even if I'm connected and can ping and do whatever. If I start Firefox 3, it starts in 'Work offline' mode and I don't like it. It's because of DBus, right?

Can somebody help me and explain how to start wpa_supplicant and two interface commands automatically at system boot, i.e. before I login to KDE? I'd prefer a solution that doesn't turn off the NetworkManager. Because of the same problem I can't get system updates from Add/Remove Software application.

Tags
fc9, login, networkmanager, user, wpasupplicant