Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd July 2008, 10:27 AM
ajeetraina Offline

MySQL or PostgreSQL?

have experienced MySQL in a telecom fault management system and although the usage is quite simple in setup and maintenance it did tend to get corrupted quite easily with high transaction volumes. Not a big problem for a fault management application because the next 300.000 error messages will be coming in in the next half hour anyway but not if you want to keep the data safe. I would not recommend MySQL for high reliability data storage.

Sofar I have had good experiences with PostgreSQL on stability and reliability level, I don't know about the transaction volume it can handle though. But there is as far as I know no limit on database size besides your storage and processing capacity of the server.

Any Comment?Which DB Gonna be suitable?
Old 2nd July 2008, 10:32 AM
ivancat Offline

if you have to process a really large amount of transactions then of course PostgreSQL is a better choice. Also, you may consider using Oracle
Ivan Cat (registered linux user #471784)
Linux Projects: constat | nconv
Fedora-related: Message In the Bottle
Old 6th July 2008, 09:19 PM
simonapnic Offline
Banned

Oracle is commercial as far as I know, so it's not wise to use it if you don't want to spend money. I'd recommend MySQL though, even if data can get corrupted as you say when dealing with large amounts of it.
What MySQL version have you "experienced" ? MySQL 5 has had significant updates and improvements, not to mention feature enhancements.
Old 6th July 2008, 09:25 PM
bee Offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajeetraina
have experienced MySQL in a telecom fault management system and although the usage is quite simple in setup and maintenance it did tend to get corrupted quite easily with high transaction volumes. Not a big problem for a fault management application because the next 300.000 error messages will be coming in in the next half hour anyway but not if you want to keep the data safe. I would not recommend MySQL for high reliability data storage.

Sofar I have had good experiences with PostgreSQL on stability and reliability level, I don't know about the transaction volume it can handle though. But there is as far as I know no limit on database size besides your storage and processing capacity of the server.

Any Comment?Which DB Gonna be suitable?
I agree. MySQL for PHP websites. PostgreSQL for everything else.

Tags
mysql, postgresql