Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th July 2008, 04:32 AM
raschko Offline

Unhappy Strange mount error for removable media.

I've recently installed fedora 9, and I must say though it is a little slow in some areas..it seems to be a rather stable Distro with up to date packages. *thumbs up

Currently I am in an xfce desktop environment and trying to mount removable media such as a usb drive or dvd rom.

Each attempt displays the following message:

"org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-removable no <-- (action, result)"

I have seen a few posts that point to editing the policykit file....it results in the drive mounting, though, I can not browse the actual drive. In which case clicking on the drive icon in Thunar will open the location then kick me back to /media.

Granted that I have made a rather custom install..an assumption of mine is that I am missing a certain user group associated with my default account?

or is there something else I am missing?

Thanks.
Old 8th July 2008, 11:38 PM
raschko Offline

I've since done some other research and have been trying to apply changes using the authorizations gui.

But for whatever reason when I try and change a value..I can not press modify afterwards.
Even though I am under su at the time.

Is that gui specific to gnome, or am I missing something different.
Currently I am running xfce (laptop) .
Old 8th July 2008, 11:43 PM
Seve Offline
Retired Community Manager

Hello:

I did not/do not fully grasp all that you posted, however, make sure that you use
su -
See: To become root in Fedora : http://www.fedorafaq.org/basics/#root

Seve
Registered Linux User: #384977
.................................................. ............
See the Links below for more Help and those much wanted extras ... :)
Old 9th July 2008, 06:23 AM
Antifreeze Offline

Hey all,
I also have noticed some oddness with regard to flash media.

My situation seems to be that F9 loves to eat the contents of my SD cards.

In particular, my 128mb cards, various manufacturers, and they all wind up with the same result.

I have to reformat them with fat16 file systems in order to recover them. In some cases I even have to repartition them due to the extensiveness of the corruption.

Now, it should be noted that this happens when I'm moving files from one system to another. I copy the files from my laptop onto the sd card with a Kodak usb flash reader/writer. I then unmount the flash, wait till fedora gives me the all clear, and remove the card from the reader.

I then insert it into the reader on the front of my desktop, fedora recognizes it, mounts it and everything looks fine, for a little while.

In an example, I copied 6 MP3's onto the flash card from the laptop, moved it to my desktop, and launched VLC, cued up the mp3's VLC played all the files on the flash the first time through, but when it went to loop back to the beginning of the playlist, all the files were corrupted.

I notice that the 'activity' light flickers every now and then next to the card even when I'm not attempting to browse the card, and within a matter of minutes of the initial insertion the files on the flash card have become well-charred toast.

Anyone else have this kind of problem?
Registered Linux User #385952
System Specs:
F12 Linux 2.6.31.9, Intel Centrino 1.86ghz, 120gb hd, 2gb ram
Old 9th July 2008, 05:04 PM
raschko Offline

I apologise if my posting was a bit confusing..

It's just the issue of being able to mount the media without being root.
I can su into polkit-gnome-authorization to change permissions for removable media.
But I can't apply any change (unable to press modify).

I am also guessing there is a user group my normal account is not associated with.
From my days of working with gentoo, I slightly remember a group called plugdev...

Tags
error, media, mount, removable, strange