Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th July 2008, 08:35 PM
Damase Offline

ATI and Fedora 8: Install won't stick

I install ATI drivers using RPM from ATI as root. Follow all directions. It works. I restart the computer. I sign in a user name - not root. It works. I logout. When I log back in it doesn't have 3D capability. I am using kernel 2.6.25-40 (I think) and the latest ATI drivers available from ATI.

Any help is appreciated, if you need more info let me know. It is a default install, all files should be in standard places.

PS Standard install doesn't provide 3D capability and when I looked it up the source said to install ATI drivers from ATI to get it.

Last edited by Damase; 7th July 2008 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 7th July 2008, 09:38 PM
ppesci Offline

I installed using ATI installer generating rpms and running install.sh. Worked fine after some tweaks, but better is to use livna repository.

Uninstall your ATI rpms fist. Include livna as repository and use the command:

yum install kmod-fglrx

HTH

PowerBook 15" G4 and
MacBook Pro 17" Intel Core 2 Duo
Intel I5 Desktop

Last edited by ppesci; 7th July 2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old 7th July 2008, 10:00 PM
Damase Offline

It was Runscape

I have found "a" problem. It was Runescape. I tried to play Runescape to see if java was installed right and when it is finished I can't use 3D. I have to restart the computer to get it back. And I mean restart. Logging out and back in won't bring it back.

Tags
ati, fedora, install, stick