Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th July 2008, 03:35 AM
Gary1 Offline

Boot to command prompt

I just installed Fedora Core 9 and have been playing around for a bit I would like to know how to get it to boot to a command prompt not a graphical login screen that takes me right to my desktop. anyone?

Thanks!

Gary,
Old 10th July 2008, 04:27 AM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

It should be done by editing /etc/inittab. There will be a line there saying
id:5:initdefault:

Change that 5 to a 3.

There are various runlevels, 1 is single user mode, 2 is multiuser without networking or something smilar, I don't think I've ever used it. 3 is what you want, multiuser with networking. 4, in Slackware is (or at least was when I used it) graphic mode, but in most other distributions it's unused. 5 is what you have by default in Fedora, graphic mode. 6 is reboot.

So, by changing it to 3 you will make it so that it boots in text mode.
Old 10th July 2008, 06:53 AM
Gary1 Offline

That worked great thanks!
Old 10th July 2008, 07:24 AM
Gary1 Offline

Also anyone know what part of the grub menu I have to edit to make my dual boot windows xp and fedora nine work I installed XP first on a separate HDD then fedora 9 on my other one.

Thanks!

Gary,
Old 10th July 2008, 07:42 AM
gibz85 Offline

You have to show grub the boot loader or windows... And yours in other hdd... Not sure about that... And its not one does every time....

Take a look at these (lot to read i know....)

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html

What i used to do years before

1. Unplugged all drives except the one I want windows on.
2. Installed windows on it.
3. Linux drive is SATA1, windows drive is SATA3, but I changed the boot order in BIOS so that SATA3 was the first one. Could have just plugged them in the other way I know, but whatever.
4. Installed Kubuntu with GRUB onto the linux drive. It detected Windows during installation and added to the boot menu:
Quote:
# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
# on /dev/sda1
title Microsoft Windows XP Professional
root (hd0,0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1
So Windows is on hd0, even though it's actually on SATA3. I guess the boot order of the drives is important.

If ya new to linux this must suck
Old 10th July 2008, 07:58 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1
Also anyone know what part of the grub menu I have to edit to make my dual boot windows xp and fedora nine work I installed XP first on a separate HDD then fedora 9 on my other one.
Assuming that you installed GRUB as the default bootloader on MBR of HDD #1 ? There will be an entry at the end of the file that looks like this:
Code:
title Windows XP Media Center Edition
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
        chainloader +1
It may say (by default) "title Other". You may give it whatever title you wish. The important lines are the other two, especially the one pointing to the HDD and partition to look for to find the Win* OS.

V
Old 10th July 2008, 08:19 AM
Dangermouse Offline
Administrator - (On Leave)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1

Thanks!

Gary,
Hi this should help you scroll down theres an example of grub using two drives one with windows and one with fedora
http://dnmouse.webs.com/grub.html

Tags
boot, command, prompt