Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th July 2008, 01:01 AM
Mr.Clean Offline

Pulse problem - TeamSpeak

I've read the other posts about pulse audio, and I'm still having problems with it.(I'm in FC9 by the way) I can't get any sound drivers to work with a VOIP program called TeamSpeak. I can sometimes here people but can't talk. Has anyone figured out how to get it to work with it?

Last edited by Seve; 24th July 2008 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Added TeamSpeak to Thread Title
Old 24th July 2008, 07:15 AM
kto Offline

You should make sure, that your microphone is configured correctly. To do this:
Open the gnome-audio-recorder and the audio-settings dialog (System => Seetings => Hardware => Audio) and try all the options for the microphone and then test them with the audio-recorder.
Old 24th July 2008, 12:20 PM
Thetargos Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Clean
I've read the other posts about pulse audio, and I'm still having problems with it.(I'm in FC9 by the way) I can't get any sound drivers to work with a VOIP program called TeamSpeak. I can sometimes here people but can't talk. Has anyone figured out how to get it to work with it?
First of all, TeamSpeak uses the old and deprecated OSS sound API. That in itself is the source for many, many problems with it. Secondly, PA has very, very poor support (and tolerance) for OSS applications. In order for you to use TeamSpeak, you will have to either suspend or kill PulseAudio, which depending on your hardware will render your system to only be able to output sound from TeamSpeak (unless you have figured out an esoteric way to have sound from TeamSpeak working at the same time as other source through ALSA's dmix), and you may see such strange behavior like if you have pidgin opened it will cease producing sounds while TS is running, but as soon as you close TS, all the sounds in the queue from pidgin will rush to the sound card in such a cacophony you'll want to shut your speakers before unleashing the sounds... Other software may complaint about the sound device not being present or available to them in the system (such as Audacious or XMMS, Xine and other multimedia players).

If you are willing to cope with the limitations TS imposes and are willing to stop PA from running when you want to use TS, you may:

Code:
pulseaudio --kill
or
killall -9 pulseaudio
Alternatively, use pasuspender:

Code:
pasuspender /path/to/TeamSpeak
The latter would be the preferred method as it will ensure that PA is restored as soon as you shut down the program you want to run without PA. In the case of TS, if you installed TS through its setup program, you can simply place a launcher in your panel (right click the icon in the Applications - Games menu to place the launcher in the panel), right click the icon in the panel and edit the launcher properties. In the command field, just append pasuspender before the path to TS. Assuming a default install of TS:

Code:
pasuspender /opt/TeamSpeak2RC2/TeamSpeak

NOTE: TS will cause SELinux to go crazy and you may get several notifications from SELinux that TS is trying to do something nasty, you may disable SELinux (at your own risk!) or ignore these warnings. In order to successfully run TS, though you will have to set it to permissive or else it won't run.

FedoraForum Community forums lurker.
Fedora user since RHL 5.2 :cool:

Systems: Laptop, Main System, Netbook.

Tags
problem, pulse, teamspeak