Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd August 2008, 07:35 PM
OldBox Offline

Can I migrate over from Red Hat Linux 9?

Hello,

I currently have Red Hat Linux 9 installed. This is my computer with relatively ancient hardware and software by today's standards, but I'm comfortable with it. But to be able to get updates again, I probably need to migrate it over to Fedora Core. I want to avoid having to install from scratch. Is that possible? Thanks in advance to anyone who could offer advice.

I currently am using GNU-Linux kernel 2.4.20-8, on a Pentium 3 machine.
Old 2nd August 2008, 08:12 PM
tho.mei Offline

Location: St. Gallen Switzerland or Christchurch, New Zealand
Hallo OldBox

it depends on:
- how old your hardware is (RAM is most a limiting factor)
- if you need to migrate a lot of services (Samba, Mail-Server, ect.)
- if you need special software (May some projects are not hacking any more)

Yes, it will work in a way. But a clean install will be the easier way.

May your "ancient hardware" is to slow for Fedora 9. It would be the best to use CentOS 5.0. It gonna be supported until Mar 31st 2014. So you will not need to migrate until then again. Fedora 10, 11, 12... won't work any way, if Fedora 9 does use to much resources. CentOS 5 is based on Fedora 6 (or it is RHEL5).

To migrate, I advice you to do a clean new, installation of CentOS5. Update the /home, /root, /ect and /var on RdeHat9. (Don't forget the hidden settings in /home/username ) May you will, after the new installation overwrite some configurations files in /etc or in the /hone/username/.* with the backuped. It will save lot of configuration time. But do it only if you need it.

May there are other ways to migrate. Someone else will may write it down in this thread. But the clean install will be the best way.
Using LINUX to do some scientific 3D-stuff.
I'm RHCT

Last edited by tho.mei; 2nd August 2008 at 08:16 PM.
Old 2nd August 2008, 08:43 PM
Chilly Willy Offline

If this helps...
I am running F9 on a PIII 667MHz with 416M ram & it runs fine - at least adequate for MY needs (faster than XP anyway)

But please be aware (if you are not already) that with fedora you will be doing more "fixing" & dealing with (putting up with) BUGS. - so even though centOS isn't the "leading edge" it SHOULD be virtually "bug free". (if that is what you want)

By its very nature, Windows is a PANE!

Last edited by Chilly Willy; 3rd August 2008 at 06:14 AM.
Old 2nd August 2008, 09:01 PM
OldBox Offline

Thank you! I've heard a little about Centos. It has the same code as RHEL, but doesn't come with official support from Red Hat. But that's ok, I don't need that because it's only for my personal desktop. I have 128 MB of ram, so that should be enough. I had 256 MB but the lightning storm fried one of the ram sticks just this morning. But anyway, I'll just back up those directories like you said, and prepare to upgrade.
Old 2nd August 2008, 09:04 PM
OldBox Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Willy
If this helps...
I am running F9 on a PIII 667MHz with 466M ram & it runs fine - at least adequate for MY needs (faster than XP anyway)

But please be aware (if you are not already) that with fedora you will be doing more "fixing" & dealing with (putting up with) BUGS. - so even though centOS isn't the "leading edge" it SHOULD be virtually "bug free". (if that is what you want)
Ok, I understand. Centos is the same as RHEL, and Fedora is used as a test bed for RHEL. I might go with Centos instead if that's more stable

Oh, and I have a Pentium 3 "Coppermine" at 450 MHz, so that's probably fast enough.
Old 2nd August 2008, 09:23 PM
Nokia Offline

AFAIK, Gnome will not run under 256 MB ram, and all things considered, you should try XFCE on that box.

SELinux User Guide

AutoPager
Old 2nd August 2008, 09:24 PM
tho.mei Offline

Quote:
Pentium 3 "Coppermine" at 450 MHz, 128 MB of ram
It won't be a fast system. 128 MB is not a lot. CentOS5 will work. But do not expect any speed marvel...

I've a PIII-Box 450MHz with 704MB RAM running on CentOS 5.0. It runs well as fileserver. It runs in runlevel 3. (No GUI) If I start KDE, it works. But it is relay slow.

Good luck!
I'm RHCT

Last edited by tho.mei; 2nd August 2008 at 09:31 PM. Reason: spelly
Old 2nd August 2008, 09:27 PM
ppesci Offline

But 128 MB RAM is little memory for a Desktop machine, if you want to use GNOME or KDE. Maybe you want to check in the CentOS home page the machine minimal requirements, only to be sure. If you can buy more ram, you will run much faster.

HTH

PowerBook 15" G4 and
MacBook Pro 17" Intel Core 2 Duo
Intel I5 Desktop
Old 5th August 2008, 03:40 AM
zackf Offline

This is only personal experience, but I definitely go with CentOS on production boxes obviously for the stability and longer term updates, but Fedora on my personal stuff because there's a lot of neat stuff for it and this is probably the most useful forum for linux so it's easy to learn new stuff.
Old 5th August 2008, 05:06 PM
tho.mei Offline

Hallo zackf
Quote:
... but Fedora on my personal stuff because there's a lot of neat stuff for it
You can often use Fedora Packages in CentOS. So this can't be the reason. (Nearly all apps for Fedora (from fedoraproject and livna) you can get for CentOS to.

The actually Fedora uses normally newer versions of the apps. Thats the only reason for Fedora is self!

Quote:
this is probably the most useful forum for linux so it's easy to learn new stuff.
May it is!
But if you use CentOS you can still ask the Feorda-Forum, because the differences between Fedora, RHEL and CentOS (of the equal versions) are insignificant. Fedora Core 6 = RHEL 5.x = CentOS 5.x

On an old box you can nearly freeze the level of FC6 when installing CentOS 5.0 until 2014. And it does not lack on security like a Fedora 6 system would.
I'm RHCT

Last edited by tho.mei; 5th August 2008 at 05:08 PM.

Tags
hat, linux, migrate, red