Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th August 2008, 03:45 AM
vbdanl Offline

cpu fan runs too fast too long - kacpid problem?

this is just weird, but maybe someone else has experienced the same problem and knows of a better solution..
i have a emachine T5088 pentium 4 1G ram, 160G hd. it came with Vista. I repartitioned it and installed Fedora, Ubuntu and puppy linux.
Vista runs fine. If I boot into Fedora or Ubuntu after Vista, kacpid process seems to be using half or more of the cpu%, (seen by running top command), and the fan inside the computer is running at a high speed (guessing 3/4), and quite noisy. I expect the fan to ramp up when booting up, and various times when a lot of cpu activity is happening. It continues to run at high speed, even when the computer is basically idle. run top command and see 2 kacpid processes near the top, using 50-75% cpu.
Now here is the weirdness.. I read a post where someone had a similar problem, and they suggested pulling the power cord out while the system is running (which i know, is really not what anyone in their right mind wants to do) - i logged off, and at the user login screen pulled the power cord. when i booted back up, the computer is now quiet, and the kacpid processes appear further down the screen and don't appear to be using any cpu. everything runs quiet, unless i boot back into Vista, then into Ubuntu (or Fedora).
I have checked the bios settings, and can't find anything that I can change having to do with the fan. I also tried installing the hardware monitor software, but evidently my hdwe doesn't support the cpu fan speed or internal temp detection, so it didn't seem to have any value.
i can reboot into linux (after pulling the pwr cord) multiple times without any problem - fan is quiet, case feels cool. only problem occurs if i go back to vista, then return to linux. vista runs quiet all the time.
the temp of the case seems hotter when the fan is running at the high speed and the system is basically idle.
i have other computers running the same versions of fedora and they don't have this problem, but i don't have windows on any of those computers, and they are older systems.. therefore i don't really know if this problem has anything to do with Vista or is just something that happens with the emachine P4 that i have..
is there a setting or script that i can install/change to control the kacpid process and/or cpu fan speed?
thanks for any and all help..
Old 9th September 2008, 07:48 AM
hilel14 Offline

Try to disable ACPI: append acpi=off to the kernel boot command line in /boot/grub/grub.conf
Here is an example from my Fedora 9 running on Pentium 4 CPU 3.00 GHz

title Fedora (2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686 ro root=/dev/sda1 rhgb quiet acpi=off

The only problem is that now my machine uses only one CPU instead of two
Old 11th September 2008, 08:09 PM
vbdanl Offline

i think i tried that early on, but for some reason my machine did not boot up. i will try it again to be sure. also, i was thinking my machine only has one CPU (but could be wrong here also..)

Tags
cpu, fan, fast, kacpid, long, problem, runs