Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd August 2008, 04:40 AM
callMeTom Offline

UPS and Power Management

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out how to make my machine shut down/hybernate when my UPS gets low. I've got it hooked up via USB and it is recognized by my system since the little power manager widget appears up with my clock. Please point me to a good howto or tell me where I should start looking.

-Tom
Old 22nd August 2008, 04:53 AM
marcrblevins Offline

Is it APC brand? Give us brand and model number. Also what program are you using to communicate with the batter backup?
Old 23rd August 2008, 01:17 AM
StephenH Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by callMeTom
Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out how to make my machine shut down/hybernate when my UPS gets low. I've got it hooked up via USB and it is recognized by my system since the little power manager widget appears up with my clock. Please point me to a good howto or tell me where I should start looking.

-Tom
Did you try right-clicking on the power manager widget and selecting "Preferences"?

The answer may be closer than you think.
Old 23rd August 2008, 02:58 AM
StephenH Offline

I've been thinking about this a bit more. I have an APC UPS also connected via USB. I am currently using the Gnome Power Manager to configure what to do when the system is on AC and what to do when it is on battery.

Is there any advantage to be gained by installing and using apcupsd and apcupsd-cgi or apcupsd-gui instead? Other than giving me a few more statistics, is it any better at shutting the system down when the power is out and I am not home, which is the main thing I want it to do?
Old 23rd August 2008, 06:15 AM
marcrblevins Offline

If its APC, I use apcupsd stuff anyway.
If I'm at work I run:
http://kiriyamablevins.dyndns.org/apcupsd/multimon.cgi
Old 23rd August 2008, 02:43 PM
callMeTom Offline

Thanks

Actually, and ironically, the power went out while I wasn't home and the computer eventually ran out of battery and shut off. When I rebooted there was a new tab in my power preferences for what to do on UPS backup. Apparently I just needed a reboot. Thanks for all your time.

-Tom

Tags
management, power, ups