Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th August 2008, 11:39 AM
openSauce Offline

Troubleshooting lynx - unable to connect to web

Hi,

I included the Lynx package when I installed Fedora Core 7, but it can't browse webpages and gives unhelpful error messages.

When I type www.google.com into the search field (or any other URL, with or without an http:// prefix), it gives the message
Code:
Alert!: Unable to connect to remote host.
Similarly at the command line:
Code:
$ lynx -dump www.google.com

Looking up :8080
Unable to locate remote host :8080.
Alert!: Unable to connect to remote host.

lynx: Can't access startfile http://www.google.com/
I get the same message when I disable the Fedora firewall and SELinux.

I've had a look at the man page and searched the web, but can't find anything I could try to help diagnose the problem. Ping and Firefox can access google and other pages no problem. I've not touched the config files in /etc: lynx-site.cfg is empty apart from a comment line, and lynx.cfg is identical to the corresponding file on my laptop, on which lynx works correctly (laptop is running FC8). Can anyone suggest anything?
Old 26th August 2008, 12:11 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

That's pretty interesting. When I see a post asking a question about a program I'm not familiar with I'll often install the program just to see what its all about. I had no idea what Lynx is so I installed it with yum. Then I typed lynx www.google.com as regular user and Lynx opened Google in the terminal. I made absolutely no changes to any files on my system. Just installed Lynx and ran the command to load Google. This doesn't help you at all and I don't mean to waste your time, but it may tell you that there's something very basic that you're overlooking. Firewall maybe?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 26th August 2008, 02:11 PM
openSauce Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennzo
Firewall maybe?
Already tried

Quote:
Originally Posted by openSauce
I get the same message when I disable the Fedora firewall and SELinux.
I agree it's quite likely to be something external to lynx, since I too have left the lynx initial setup untouched (as far as I'm aware and am able to determine), but I'm at a loss as to what it could be. It doesn't seem to be anything related to my college's network, since if I boot a Fedora Live CD then lynx works (after installing via yum). So it's something on my main Fedora installation, but I can't find a way to get any info on what it is.
Old 23rd September 2008, 01:07 PM
openSauce Offline

Bump...

Never got to the bottom of this, maybe a fresh pair of eyes will have some suggestions

Tags
connect, lynx, troubleshooting, unable, web