Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st September 2008, 09:59 AM
Ghroth Offline

Setting up MySQL server

Hi there. First of all i would like to introduce myself since this is my very first post.
My name is Jim and i'm from Greece. AND i'm pretty new to the linux. I chose to install FC9. servering httpd, php and mysql. So far, i had no problem with http and php but i'm having troubles with mysql.
Here it goes:

i've installed mysql.i386 (5.0.51a-1.fc9.i386.rpm) and mysql-server.i386 (5.0.51a-1.fc9) via yum with all their dependencies.: When i try to run the service, ("mysql start") i get the error:
Code:
[root@localhost /]# mysql
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
Searching a little bit deeper i found that this error's coming from /etc/my.cnf:
Code:
[mysqld]
datadir=/var/lib/mysql
socket=/var/lib/mysql.sock
user=mysql
[mysqld_safe]
log-error=/var/log/mysqld.log
pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
Further more i found that the file "mysql.sock" is generated automatically when mysqld is starting but still no results from "find -name mysql.sock". And yup i can see the service mysqld running.

Sorry if this problem is kinda "newbie" to you. Any kind of help would be really appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Old 1st September 2008, 10:44 AM
AlexDudko Offline

First, try this command to start the server: /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld start
After the server starts you can use it in terminal starting the mysql command line with command mysql
Old 1st September 2008, 10:57 AM
Ghroth Offline

Thank you for really fast replying

Strangely I get this now:
Code:
[root@localhost /]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld start
Timeout error occurred trying to start MySQL Daemon.
Starting MySQL:                                            [FAILED]
So.. the service cannot start at all.. I must search about what's wrong with the mysqld.

Edit:
Ok, I changed the user from "mysql" to "root" inside the my.cnf and mysqld is running correctly. And i can see the mysql.conf inside the /var/lib/mysql folder.. but still getting the same error..

Last edited by Ghroth; 1st September 2008 at 11:07 AM.
Old 1st September 2008, 12:58 PM
Ghroth Offline

Nice, I solved it. I noticed that, the actual path of the mysql.conf that mysql is trying to locate is the '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' but the actual mysql.sock has been generated as '/var/lib/mysql.sock'. So, i tried to make a link like "ln -s /var/lib/mysql.sock /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock" and it got fixed. (i'm a fast learner )

Hope for no more problems.

Tags
mysql, server, setting