Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th September 2008, 09:30 AM
joeCoffee Offline

MySQL Storage Engine InnoDB Disabled

Good Day,

Thanks for a very helpful forum. I am new to Linux, looking to setup webERP for a small but growing enterprise. webERP requires InnoDB tables.

I have a working mysql server, as well as phpMyAdmin and MySQL Administrator in place.

SHOW ENGINES \G reports the following:
mysql> show engines \g
+------------+----------+----------------------------------------------------------------+
| Engine | Support | Comment |
+------------+----------+----------------------------------------------------------------+
| MyISAM | DEFAULT | Default engine as of MySQL 3.23 with great performance |
| MEMORY | YES | Hash based, stored in memory, useful for temporary tables |
| InnoDB | DISABLED | Supports transactions, row-level locking, and foreign keys |
| BerkeleyDB | YES | Supports transactions and page-level locking |
12 rows in set (0.00 sec)

I have both hand edited and used MySQL Administrator to edit the my.cnf to reflect the following in the [mysqld] section:

#user_added_Innodb config based on
#http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/...iguration.html
#now using MyAdmin SQL GUI

innodb_data_file_path=ibdata1:10M:autoextend
innodb_buffer_pool_size=1970M
innodb_additional_mem_pool_size=10M
innodb_log_file_size=50M
innodb_log_buffer_size=20M
innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=1

#Enable this option only if you would like to use InnoDB tables.
skip-innodb

I have placed the "Enable this Option..." both before and after the innodb lines creating the ibdata file, buffer, mem_pool and log files.

I have stopped and started the server after making my changes, even rebooting on occasion. At no time were the data and log files created in /var/lib/mysql. Even creating them by hand did not allow the webERP script used to created the database to create InnoDB tables. Tables get created in the /var/lib/mysql/webERP directory and app runs okay as far as I have gotten, but the tables are MyISAM according to phpMyAdmin. Even doing a dump of the database to an sql file and replacing the the ENGINE = MyISAM with ENGINE=InnoDB in the sql statement and using phpMyAdmin to restore from the dump has no effect. Tables are still created MyISAM.

All attempts at changes were made while logged in as the root user both in mysql and on the computer so there are no permission errors showing up that I know about.

[root@cmi ~]# mysql -u root -p
Enter password:
Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MySQL connection id is 13
Server version: 5.0.51a Source distribution

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.

mysql>

The mySQL server and client were installed as part of the 'server' setup using Fedora's most recent stable install ISO from their website.

I'm at a loss . . . I don't want to uninstall and reinstall all the packages surrounding mysql so I appreciate you folks taking time to look at this.

Thanks,

Joe
Old 10th September 2008, 10:11 AM
SlowJet Offline

The InnoDB storage engine is enabled by default. If you don't want to use InnoDB tables, you can add the skip-innodb option to your MySQL option file.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/...iguration.html

Looks like documentation typo somewhere.
skip-innodb
means what it says.
SJ
Old 10th September 2008, 05:08 PM
joeCoffee Offline

Guess being a n00b has its disadvantages . . . believing what you read, Should have tried doing all my fiddling with the 'skip - InnoDB commented out . . . would have saved me some grief. Did fresh dumps of my two test databases, changed the engine from MyISAM to InnoDB and imported them, and viola . . .

Thanks for your reply.

Joe

Tags
disabled, engine, innodb, mysql, storage