Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th September 2008, 03:22 AM
smart_axiom Offline

saving ".doc" open office on smb/windows share

Hi there,

I hope someone can help me out with this problem that I'm facing with open office on fedora 9.

I get "general input output error" when trying to save a file in MS office (.doc) format on a windows share. Strangely though I find that it works fine if I change the format to open format (.odt).

Note that I have Sun's JDK installed on the machine and is working fine.

Thanks in advance ...
Old 17th September 2008, 03:33 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Have you updated to the latest version of OOO available for F9? What version of OOO are you running? Also, what version of JDK, where did you get it, and how did you install it?

V
Old 17th September 2008, 03:47 AM
smart_axiom Offline

Hello Hlingler,

Thanks for the reply,

Yup, I have updated to the latest from fedora repositories via "yum", it's version "2.4.1" I believe.

I installed Sun's jdk 6u7, after downloading it from sun's website. Then updated the alternatives linking system for java , javac and javaplugin to point to the ones provided inside Sun's JDK directory.

I'm just thinking maybe there is some link I need to set in the open office directory to use the java executable in Suns JDK/JRE??

Thanks
Old 17th September 2008, 03:51 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Um... I don't know for sure about that. I'll take a look.

Meanwhile, do you get any error messages or otherwise in ~/.xsession-errors when these SAVE FILE operations fail?

V
Old 17th September 2008, 04:09 AM
smart_axiom Offline

yeah, this is what I get in .xsession-errors:

Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x420085d (OpenOffice)
Window manager warning: meta_window_activate called by a pager with a 0 timestamp; the pager needs to be fixed.
Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x420085d (OpenOffice)
Window manager warning: meta_window_activate called by a pager with a 0 timestamp; the pager needs to be fixed.

looks like a bug of some sort , if I open the file through ooo writer instead of opening it through nautilus then ooo will ask for the credentials to login to the windows share, it's as if it's not picking up the credentials from the samba share ... and I can save it in .doc if I open it from ooo writer program.

Interesting stuff eh? lol I think it's a bug
Old 17th September 2008, 04:12 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Go figure... well, there you have it.

I would say: File a bug report.

V

P.S. I'm using a non-standard OOO from GoOo.org (http://go-oo.org/), and it has it's own libjava stuff, so I don't think comparing the two suites is a good idea.

Last edited by Hlingler; 17th September 2008 at 04:16 AM.
Old 17th September 2008, 04:18 AM
smart_axiom Offline

specifically this is the error I get: "general input/output error while accessing /home/ajax/.gvfs/test on 192.168.0.10/kilo.doc" when I try to save it in (.doc) format if the file is opened from nautilus.

On the other hand I just installed ooo from sun's website on another machine running Oracle Enterprise Linux5.2, and I don't get this error at all, with the same Sun JDK 6u7 installed on that machine.
Old 17th September 2008, 04:23 AM
smart_axiom Offline

ok woohoo, I just found myself a bug ... Now time to squash it hahaha

I thank you for your time in responding to my questions

I would appreciate it if you could direct me as to how I can file a bug report ? and should I file it to fedora??

Thanks
Old 17th September 2008, 04:23 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Sounds like a "Nautilus" problem then. That would definitely go to Red Hat's bugzilla: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/index.cgi

V
Old 17th September 2008, 04:29 AM
smart_axiom Offline

oh ok, Red Hat bugzilla it is then ...

Thanks

Tags
doc, office, open, saving, share, smb or windows