Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th September 2008, 11:49 AM
birsa munda Offline

Difference between fedora and redhat enterprise linux

hai everyone!!

I am new to linux. Can anybody tell what are the differences b/w Fedora Core and Redhat Enterprise Linux. I think botth uses the same command. Is both belongs to Redhat distribution.

Plz reply.

with regards.
birsa
Old 18th September 2008, 11:58 AM
markkuk Offline

See here: http://www.redhat.com/rhel/migrate/whichlinux/
Old 18th September 2008, 12:05 PM
forkbomb Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by birsa munda
Is both belongs to Redhat distribution.
Ehhh... what? The Fedora Project has corporate sponsorship from Redhat Inc. but officially and properly speaking the Fedora distribution itself (by the way, it's not Fedora Core anymore) is not a product of Redhat Inc.

The biggest differences are:
1) Community support (Fedora) versus paid support (Redhat)
2) Release cycle: Fedora releases every 6 months and a given version is (supposedly) only supported for about 13 months, Redhat is supported for years
3) Software stability: Fedora is a sort of testbed for bleeding-edge software (but can be made to work in production environments if you're dedicated); Redhat is specifically geared to production environments and contains tried-and-true software and feature implementations
4) Money

http://www.google.com/search?q=diffe...ient=firefox-a

EDIT: Though Fedora and Redhat have similar init structures and such from a technical standpoint, they're very different in terms of software stability and feel. CentOS is much closer to Redhat in terms of features and software versions.
http://centos.org

Last edited by forkbomb; 18th September 2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old 18th September 2008, 01:17 PM
jnvilo Offline

RHEL is based on Fedora. I hope this helps.

From a users point of view, if you know your way around Fedora then you know your away around RHEL or Centos for that matter.

I use Fedora for home desktop since it's a bleeding edge system. My office workstation however is Centos5.2 which is same as RHEL5.2 because all our servers are RHEL.

RHEL 5.2 is good for general desktop use just as well as Fedora. Like I said if you know your way around Fedora then you know your way around RHEL. It's just that Fedora will have latest/newer software than RHEL.
Old 18th September 2008, 02:13 PM
stevea Offline

And RHEL will have many proprietary features that will never be part of Fedora. Conga and cluster suite for example.
Old 10th February 2009, 08:55 PM
nazzdeq Offline

The difference is paying the Redhat tax. Redhat takes their source code from the Fedora tree, so for Redhat to pretend like Fedora is not production quality is a joke. That is their way of getting money out of you. We run Fedora 10 in production environments with zero issues. I'm not sure why I would ever need support from Redhat? What do people call Redhat for is beyond me. I've never needed to call for OS support in 20 years, but that's just me.
Old 10th February 2009, 09:06 PM
dragonbite Offline

I've kinda like the latest versions of software available on Fedora. Is the hardware detection and available device drivers similar or is RHEL (CentOS) behind? Specifically Wireless and nVidia graphic card.

I've found Fedora to be pretty good stability wise so I guess it is less of a issue than it may have been before but I was thinking what about an in-between distro which is more up-to-date than RHEL but less "bleeding edge" than Fedora and made to be as consumer-user-friendly as possible? Kinda like FU-buntu ?

Last edited by dragonbite; 10th February 2009 at 09:13 PM. Reason: middle-ground distro idea

Tags
difference, enterprise, fedora, linux, redhat