Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th September 2008, 01:43 AM
PlanBForOOo Offline

Console output on DVI for Radeon 8500

Hi there,
I try to get my Radeon 8500 to talk to my shiny new Samsung SyncMaster 245T via DVI output.

The Radeon is a dual head card that has a VGA and a DVI output (and could theoretically drive two different monitors with that).

Now I have the card working on the VGA port and up to a resolution of 1680x1050. However I'd like to use the native resolution of 1900x1200 and also the DVI output port.

I get KDM to show up on the DVI output but as soon as I log on the DVI goes blank again. Any ideas what might be wrong?

Also, I can only see the console output on the VGA output. All I found so far was configuration of the X-Server, but how can I see the regular terminal output on the DVI interface?

Thanks

K<o>
Old 20th September 2008, 03:59 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

If there is nothing connected to the DVI port when X11/Xorg starts, it will simply ignore that port. You can't go back later and "hot-plug" a monitor into the DVI port and expect it to work. At a minimum, you'd have to re-start the X-server.

V
Old 22nd September 2008, 02:22 AM
PlanBForOOo Offline

Thanks, it appears that is also true for the VGA port. As long as something is plugged into the VGA port, the DVI configuration is ignored. This is really confusing, as KDM still functions on that monitor, and then the X-Server ignores the configuration, even one that does configure X to use the DVI output.

However, all this only pertains to the X-Server. I got the DVI now working as the only monitor for KDM and X-Server, but I still can't see the console output, before X-Server is even started. Any idea how to get that directed to the DVI output?

Tags
8500, console, dvi, output, radeon