Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th September 2008, 11:16 PM
mlblandf Offline

Printing from windows with cups and samba

Hello,

I have a local printer ( Minolta 2300DL ) on my Linux box that I would like to use from Windows.

I followed the article below and configured my linux box to hand out the cups print drivers as well as the adobe postscript drivers via samba.

http://www.enterprisenetworkingplane...le.php/3621876

That all seems to work well. When adding a printer, the drivers are automatically installed.

The problem is that all print jobs come out as raw postscript.

I tried messing with the mime.convs and mime.types suggested in the article, but I haven't had any luck.

I am looking for suggestions on what is missing. I suspect it is a simple change to either samba or cups to make this work.
Old 30th September 2008, 10:51 PM
Toccata Offline

Gee, that seems awfully complicated. As an alternative you could just let the Windows driver handle the printing and configure Samba for printing transparency. I have the same set-up, except my printer is HP. Try this in your smb.conf

in the [printers] section
comment out: writeable = no
add: use client driver = yes

delete: the entire [print$] section

Then reload your printer's Windows driver from CD and tell it the printer is on the network instead of locally connected. That worked for me.
Old 30th September 2008, 11:23 PM
mlblandf Offline

Printing from windows with cups and samba

Unfortunately, the drivers for windows are awful.

If I load them on my laptop, they lock the parallel port on the docking station. They will not allow the laptop to go to sleep because it thinks the port is in use. The only way to clear this up has been to remove the printer driver software.

That is why I was going down the road of trying to use the postscript driver.

It also seemed like the postscript solution would work well when you have a friend over. They could just click 'add printer' and make use of my printer without having to find a cd or drivers.

Tags
cups, printing, samba, windows