Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (No Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (No Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 1st October 2008, 02:30 AM
benjo Offline

How to configure your Gnome Terminal window size with keyboard shortcuts.

Hi, I spent a couple of months wondering how to get my terminal window ( which was launched from a key board short cut ) to default to a window size of 180x30.

There are various other methods available but this is the quickest and easiest solution i have found so i thought i would share it.

First of all set up a Terminal Window short cut in: System => Preferences => Personal => Key Board Shortcuts

I set up the left windows key ( or Super L ) to open a Gnome Terminal, it's always been one to impress.

Next, to get it to open to a custom size, you have to edit Preferred Applications in: System => Preferences => Personal => Preferred Applications
( Preferred Applications and Keyboard Shortcuts seem closely related to each other )
Just go to the 'Terminal Emulator' window and change the drop-down box to "Custom" and in the Command box type: gnome-terminal --geometry=180x30

It's that easy.

This is a very simple How To, but i hope a few people can benefit.

Cheers.
Fedora8. Dell OptiPlex 755, ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT
Old 21st February 2010, 09:43 PM
farshid Offline

linuxfirefox
Thanks for the tip.
On CentOS I had to do: System => Preferences => More Preferences => Preferred Applications

Last edited by farshid; 11th March 2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11th March 2010, 12:27 PM
jonathonp Offline

linuxsafari
Re: How to configure your Gnome Terminal window size with keyboard shortcuts.

Thanks for the guide.
Old 18th March 2010, 04:47 PM
lynnevan Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: How to configure your Gnome Terminal window size with keyboard shortcuts.

I've been using 'nautilus_scripts' the last few years. I set up once and forever "talltermR", "talltermL", "longterm", "nautilus" as well as having installed "natilus-open-terminal".
For instance, to do what benjo did (as far as having the window on the desktop), I right click, slide over to longterm, click - I have a window the width of the screen but only half it's heidth. The script is executable and placed in ~/.gnome2/nautilus_scripts. The script itself is
Quote:
#!/bin/bash
# Open Gnome-terminal
cd $NAUTILUS_SCRIPT_CURRENT_URI
exec gnome-terminal --geometry=171x26
I also keep a maximized "gnome-terminal --geometry=195x65" on my taskbar - handy if you want to see /etc or /dev all at once on the same screen.

None of this is as easy as a hot-key, but once done you sure get used to it fast. I've got 8 different predetermined sized at one or two mouse clicks.

Tags
configure, keyboard, shortcut, terminal, window