Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > The Dungeon > Archived (Click Header To See Sub-Forums) > Alpha, Beta & Snapshots Discussions (Fedora 10 Only)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Alpha, Beta & Snapshots Discussions (Fedora 10 Only) Post Development Version comments and questions that don't belong in Bugzilla here. These posts will be moved or deleted once the Final version is released

Old 11th October 2008, 09:31 PM
MALDATA Offline

upgrading from beta to final release

Quick question...

I downloaded and installed fedora 10 beta on my laptop to test it out, since I use fedora 8 on my work computer and it's coming up on the end of its lifetime. The install of F10 has gone so smoothly that I'd hate to have to reinstall when the final release comes out. Will updating automatically take me up to the final release? Or will I have to do a fresh install of the final release? I suspect the updates take care of it, but I want to make sure because it takes so much effort to get everything set up and I'd like to do this just once.

Thanks
Old 11th October 2008, 09:35 PM
nick.stumpos Offline

Im sure it possible, i havent done it myself so i cant verify this. I wouldn't recommend it though. keep in mind that the beta is a beta release and as such has lots of debug code enabled, and pieces of software not yet considered ready for release. this software may not update as smoothly as an upgrade from say even 9 to 10, which even in that case i would recommend a reinstall over an upgrade
Old 12th October 2008, 12:41 AM
mjmwired Offline

Yes this will work fine. Keep updating it via 'yum update'.
Once F10 final is released, the repository setup should automatically switch from rawhide (devel repo) to F10 final repo.
Old 12th October 2008, 02:34 AM
kevmif Offline

I still prefer to download a fresh copy and reinstall... you never know what makes it into rawhide. Most of the packages are not even signed
Old 12th October 2008, 02:51 AM
NoEffex Offline

If you're going to go ahead and keep rawhide, do you mind pming me telling me when networkmanager is updated? It doesn't like to work with the older fedora, and since I noticed it was still for fedora 9, well, yeah.
Debian Lenny x86_64 & Windows 7 Ultimate x64
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ Superclocked - Fattypack

Second(Server) PC:
512mb RAM
80gb TiVO HD(Lololol, took it from TiVO, old one broke)
PC-BSD 7.1.1 x86
Ossom router decked out with DD-WRT as a bridge providing net
Sign the Online Petition to bring Crysis 2 to Linux/Mac!
Old 12th October 2008, 03:08 AM
mjmwired Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmif View Post
I still prefer to download a fresh copy and reinstall... you never know what makes it into rawhide. Most of the packages are not even signed
If you stick with rawhide through the beta process all the way to the release, the updated RPM's you will have installed on your computer will be the *exact* same RPM's that will be on your fresh download.

The only difference will be how the installer runs since the Beta Anaconda installer will be updated by the time it makes it to final release.
Old 12th October 2008, 03:29 AM
kevmif Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmwired View Post
If you stick with rawhide through the beta process all the way to the release, the updated RPM's you will have installed on your computer will be the *exact* same RPM's that will be on your fresh download.

The only difference will be how the installer runs since the Beta Anaconda installer will be updated by the time it makes it to final release.
Yes you are most probably correct..... however I still prefer to do the reinstall anyway.

Also because the beta normally gets installed on a smaller testing partition. I have it installed at the moment, but due to certain issues I have been having i've had to boot back to F9 for now. Once I am happy with F10 stability I will back up all of my data and reinstall onto my production partition. The old install will be left there and eventually wiped when I want to test something else.

Best way of doing it IMHO.
Old 12th October 2008, 03:46 AM
mjmwired Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmif View Post
Yes you are most probably correct..... however I still prefer to do the reinstall anyway.

Also because the beta normally gets installed on a smaller testing partition. I have it installed at the moment, but due to certain issues I have been having i've had to boot back to F9 for now. Once I am happy with F10 stability I will back up all of my data and reinstall onto my production partition. The old install will be left there and eventually wiped when I want to test something else.

Best way of doing it IMHO.
You are more than welcome to do it however it suits your needs, but I would not want someone to unnecessarily waste time downloading and re-installing based merely on opinion.

I used this Beta->Final method when Fedora9 was released so I know it works.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedo.../msg00217.html
Old 12th October 2008, 04:46 AM
kevmif Offline

Yes true I used it also, and did a reinstall a few weeks later so it does work perfectly fine.

Tags
beta, final, release, upgrading