Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th October 2008, 06:41 PM
fballem Offline

Unable to install Fedora 9 - sets nvidia Graphics mode to 81.3KHz/65Hz [SOLVED]

I tried install Fedora 9 yesterday and got most of the way through the installation. The point where I ran into trouble was when Anaconda went to start the system for the first time. It reported that it identified my Nvidia graphics card (unknown). It's a GeForce 8600.

When this was reported, the screen would then go blank for a couple of minutes, and then my monitor (an LG W2242TQ) would report that an invalid mode (81.3 KHz / 65 Hz) was set, rendering the computer useless.

I am using Fedora CDs, tried both 32-bit and 64-bit, and same problem. When this occurs, I have no way of proceeding.

Any suggestions?
Old 14th October 2008, 09:57 PM
remeeraz Offline

Easiest way is, re-install it using text mode, then follow my instructions in Post #8 of the following thread;

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...hp?t=201473&#8

Remembering that you will have to log in using Username "root" and your root password because text mode install will not have created a user account.

Last edited by remeeraz; 14th October 2008 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Added info about Root
Old 14th October 2008, 10:19 PM
fballem Offline

Thanks for this. Is there a process to fix this, since this is a bug. Also the installation CD/DVD is the first experience that a user will have with Fedora. Not a pretty one in this case. As well, if the user does not have a working computer - due to the crash during the graphical installation - this is not a good thing.

For this reason, if there is a way to fix this bug, then it should be fixed. Once fixed, the installation CD/DVD should be updated so that a user's first experience is positive.

Not all new users are going to be as stubborn as I am!

By the way, in this forum, how do I mark a thread as solved?
Old 14th October 2008, 10:45 PM
brebs Offline
Banned

Reinstalling isn't needed at all. Should be able to press Alt-Ctrl-F1 to see a normal login prompt, or boot to runlevel 3.

Then install nvidia's kernel module, and create xorg.conf, for which there's a million gazillion examples a googling away.

Would be interesting to see /var/log/Xorg.0.log, to check if it's a bug in the open-source "nv" driver.

Last edited by brebs; 14th October 2008 at 10:47 PM.
Old 15th October 2008, 12:09 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

I marked the thread as solved as per your request (since you can't).

Also: re-spins of Fedora releases are not typically provided except by 3rd parties - whether or not this is good-bad-right-wrong etc. A complete system software update will probably fix many issues, and I'd recommend doing so ASAP.

V
Old 15th October 2008, 12:14 AM
remeeraz Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by fballem View Post
Thanks for this. Is there a process to fix this, since this is a bug. Also the installation CD/DVD is the first experience that a user will have with Fedora. Not a pretty one in this case. As well, if the user does not have a working computer - due to the crash during the graphical installation - this is not a good thing.

For this reason, if there is a way to fix this bug, then it should be fixed. Once fixed, the installation CD/DVD should be updated so that a user's first experience is positive.

Not all new users are going to be as stubborn as I am!

By the way, in this forum, how do I mark a thread as solved?
There are re-spins of the distro available, can't say wether it solves the issue for you but in most cases it's solved a few issues.

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedor.../msg00003.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by brebs View Post
Reinstalling isn't needed at all. Should be able to press Alt-Ctrl-F1 to see a normal login prompt, or boot to runlevel 3.

Then install nvidia's kernel module, and create xorg.conf, for which there's a million gazillion examples a googling away.
Yes, there is always a way of recovering an OS from it problems before re-installing! Try brebs' method first if you can! Save you a whole load of hassle!

Tags
813khz or 65hz, fedora, graphics, install, mode, nvidia, sets, solved, unable