Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th October 2008, 05:19 PM
flyingpengwin Offline

Boot up fails. Avahi-Daemon fails.

My friend is running Fedora 9 on his eee pc1000. Yesterday he was forced to hard reboot and when he tried to boot up his computer he would get to the point where the mouse shows up the busy motion around the mouse and is about to get to the login point when the screen goes black, some words come up (hard to tell what it says since its only a flash) and it goes back to when the mouse shows up and the busy motion starts spinning. This mouse -> blank screen -> flash of words -> mouse repeats over and over again until hard rebooted off. On the start up in the list it says " Avahi-Daemon failed"
I don't know if this is the cause of all the errors but I could not find help for this issue when searching for it. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 16th October 2008, 11:45 AM
flyingpengwin Offline

Does anyone have any ideas?
If my friend needs to do a complete wipe is there anyway he can get files off of it first?
We tried to boot into Knoppix but we weren't able to find any of his files.
Old 17th October 2008, 02:15 PM
flyingpengwin Offline

Nevermind. I don't know what the solution was but a friend of ours was able to fix it.
Old 23rd November 2008, 10:53 PM
JungleNut Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpengwin View Post
Nevermind. I don't know what the solution was but a friend of ours was able to fix it.
Would appreciate some more info - can you find out what the friend did?

I am having exactly the same problem with a fully updated F9 on an Acer 4920G. I can get into a GUI in the root account by editing the grub menu and starting with runlevel 3, then starting x, but from there I have no idea what to look for...

Any assistance greatly appreciated.
Old 24th November 2008, 03:17 PM
flyingpengwin Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleNut View Post
Would appreciate some more info - can you find out what the friend did?

I am having exactly the same problem with a fully updated F9 on an Acer 4920G. I can get into a GUI in the root account by editing the grub menu and starting with runlevel 3, then starting x, but from there I have no idea what to look for...

Any assistance greatly appreciated.
aparently it got flooded with temp files to the point that it was full. I have yet to see my friend to day but once i do I'll ask him. Is there important files on you computer?
because tomorrow is FC10... and if your going to install it might as well do it from a fresh boot. Regaurdless I will ask and post for anyone else having this issue.
Old 24th November 2008, 09:21 PM
JungleNut Offline

Thanks for the response flyingpengwin, but I'm not sure that this is the issue in my case. I deleted the /tmp folder yesterday before posting here and it made no difference, and the hdd is only 62% full anyway.

You're right, it may not be worth trying to fix since f10 is nearly here, but I'll wait to hear what else you can dig up anyway
Old 26th November 2008, 03:46 AM
flyingpengwin Offline

well apparently what happened to my friend was that the harddrive got maxed out. He says what you have to do is delete the cache and other temp things to get it to be able to boot up. He also went on to say he does not know how to do this because his friend was the one that did it for him. He recommend that you request how to do this from people who are very good with fedora (not me since im still new). But Fedora is out today!!! yeah!!!

Tags
avahidaemon, boot, fails