Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th October 2008, 05:22 PM
saqer Offline

How di I migrate LVM partitions from 74GB drive to 150GB?

As the title says I need to upgrade my hard drive. I want to simply clone my existing hard drive which has FC9 only to a larger one. I used LVM partitioning and I have this layout:
$ lvdisplay
--- Logical volume ---
LV Name /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
VG Name VolGroup00
LV UUID 4rYbUX-xvJc-IWtg-zgJR-a1Ll-Xot1-makUIO
LV Write Access read/write
LV Status available
# open 1
LV Size 67.06 GB
Current LE 2146
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors auto
- currently set to 256
Block device 253:1

--- Logical volume ---
LV Name /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01
VG Name VolGroup00
LV UUID DGaHUz-pXl9-KJxu-Biyb-M55I-RFHE-2B1dmL
LV Write Access read/write
LV Status available
# open 1
LV Size 1.94 GB
Current LE 62
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors auto
- currently set to 256
Block device 253:2
I already cloned the drive using the dd command (took 24 min) and I could boot into the new drive ( where I am typing this message now). As you can see from the lvdisplay command above, I have unallocated ~70GB that I need to extend the current LVM into. I tried to read the HOW tos and I get confused and am not sure what applies and what is not.

I tried to play with system-config-lvm but did not now how to use it for this purpose. It is not allowing me to do any operation on the unallocated space.

Would any one possibly guide me in a step by step on how to do this? By the way, my Fedora installation is encrypted if this matters to the subject.

Tags
150gb, 74gb, drive, lvm, migrate, partitions