Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th October 2008, 11:14 AM
kona0197 Offline
The Wibble Rouser

So have you got a Netbook?

If so what did you get? I just picked up an Acer Aspire One. So far I'm loving it.

No fate but what we make...
My Blog: kona0197.wordpress.com
Old 25th October 2008, 11:35 AM
Demz

Graphics 8MB?.. wow
Old 25th October 2008, 01:54 PM
ryptyde Offline

I have the AAO with the same specs and have been running F10snap2 since purchasing it OCT 17. Here's a link to another thread with more info on my setup. The graphics card info while running from Windows XP states "minimum 8MB maximum 224MB" and I know it works well with compiz-fusion-icon in F10 after all the AAO is a "net-book" not a "game-book" so don't expect to run WOW or UT2004 on the 9" screen.

I will say it is quite handy and easy to tote when travelling as a matter of fact I'll be taking it with me today while in town shopping with the wife. While she browses shops I'll be getting out the AAO and browsing the net.
Old 25th October 2008, 02:26 PM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

Which one did you get, Kona? I started with the 3 cell 8 Gig SSD, but the SSD was far too slow for me. When it did the infamous black screen of death, J&R very kindly took it back, though it was 3 weeks old, and they clearly state that after 2 weeks, it's between you and the manufacturer. Therefore, when they got the 6 cell 160 GB HD version, I bought it from them, although it cost about $20 more than it would have had I waited two more weeks for Amazon to get it.

I like it. I wiped Windows off it and put on Fedora, Ubuntu, CentOS and Mepis. I left another partition where I've played with Elive and GOS--there's also a howto on their forums about installing from the recovery DVD to get a running system on a USB--I did that too with modifications, as I thought the Linpus system is an interesting, though aggravating challenge.

I have a few pages on it--anyone interested can just go to http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu and it's in the Fedora section.

The hardest one to install was CentOS as not only does its kernel not have a driver for the Realtek ethernet, but the driver it tries to load causes the whole system to core dump. (I have the workarounds on my page, basically you install without loading drivers, then blacklist the r8169 before booting it. Then, one can get Alan Barlett's rpm and install that.)

Although one joke on the aspireone forums is, "Acer. We're cheaper for a reason," considering that it's still lower priced than many with comparable specs and has a nicer keyboard than most, it's good for its purpose. For those who use the mouse a lot, the mouse setup is a nuisance, but I'm more of a keyboard user.
Old 25th October 2008, 04:05 PM
notageek Offline

Nice laptop, and it comes with Intel Atom! How much battery standby time do you get on this? Intel promises that their Atom line consumes less power.

BTW post some pics of the laptop

I recently saw the Asus eepc, and I liked it. Its nifty little laptop which would run linux very well, and its not that expensive (costs as much as my new cell phone ) I might have bought it if it weren't running on a Celeron.

When's AMD going to come up with low power consuming cpu's?

Edit: I just visited the website of AAO, I like it a lot. Nice buy Kona, really nice

Edit: Whoops, I thought it was Acer eepc, but its in-fact Asus eepc. but its still cool, only I wish it could run on a single battery charge all day and run on a decent cpu like the Atom or something from AMD.

Last edited by notageek; 25th October 2008 at 07:18 PM.
Old 25th October 2008, 05:00 PM
fedoraman08 Offline
Banned

8.1 inches screen, small keyboard, ... but it is so cool, my partner have one, but I still love my lappy (dell vostro 1400)
Old 25th October 2008, 06:35 PM
scottro Offline

Yes, the screen is small--so are all the netbooks. The ASUS (I see someone did what I always do and typed Acer EEE--it's the ASUS EEE and Acer Aspire One--glad to know I'm not the only one who mistypes that) -- but anyway....

The Asus 1000 have 10 inch screens, but depending upon your needs, that can be a little big, especially when one considers that the theoretical purpose of these is just as a secondary machine, good for traveling, and the like. The small screen is a bit of a hindrance at times, especially when VNC-ing or NX-ing into a full size machine, but it's a handy little thing.

As for the battery life--the three cell is reputed to have 2-1/2 hours and 6 cell about 6 hours. In practice, I never used either of them till the bitter end, but I've used the 6 cell for 3-4 hours without problem. The 3 cell got me nervous after about an hour and 50 minutes---that is, it would show that there were only a few minutes of battery time left--I never pushed it to the end though.
Old 26th October 2008, 07:18 AM
notageek Offline

The AAO has 512MB on-board SDRAM and also has a slot for 1GB DDR2 RAM.

I'm wondering if this is really a good idea (to have on-board RAM).
Old 26th October 2008, 08:22 AM
stevea Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by notageek View Post
I'm wondering if this is really a good idea (to have on-board RAM).
Probably not, but it cuts mfgr cost by several dollars (no socket, no separate pcb) - and that matters on the low end.
Old 26th October 2008, 09:26 AM
joe.pelayo Offline
An ape descendant

Hello there.

I got an Acer Aspire One two weeks ago. It's a blue one with 8GB SSD, 512MB, and Linpus Linux. Rather than installing another flavor of Linux altogether (with the consequent drivers struggle) I decided to customize Linpus, but I have to recognize it is very fragile and have to install stuff carefully to not break it. I also decided to keep it because since it is a SSD drive I didn't want a regular Linux installation to wear it out earlier. I guess that's also the reason I don't notice the SSD slowness.

Sadly most of the sofware included by Acer is crap: the games are shareware (why didn't they include normal free games?), and the multimedia apps are 'bulky'. As for the communication software although it is very basic, it is quite fast, and suffices for the task. I only would have loved a more recent Firefox.

Another weird thing is that it does not support NTFS, so the list of customizations I make to achieve functionality is:
- Update Fedora Release, enable Livna, enable Linpus 'advanced desktop'.
- Install Audacious for music player, Audacity for audio recording, and Xine for video playing (along with all necessary libs).
- Update Mplayer (already installed).
- Update cups, install gutenprint.
- Install ntfs-3g.
- Install useful software like wxMaxima, Octave, etc.
- Install djvulibre (the main purpose of the machine is as ebook reader).
- Install The Battle for Wesnoth for decent gaming.

And that's pretty much it. Needless to say I like that machine very much and take it to school everyday.
Later I'll install another OS for it in a spare USB HDD I have, for casual use (a regular Linux).

As for the graphics card I realized Compiz can work very well on it (from a Fedora 8 liveUSB).

Thanks.
Joe.

Last edited by joe.pelayo; 26th October 2008 at 09:29 AM.
Old 26th October 2008, 10:34 AM
kona0197 Offline
The Wibble Rouser

Scott - I got the 3 cell battery with Windows XP version. So far I like it. I sold off my Mac iBook to get it as I prefer Windows to OSX.

Starting to wonder if I made a mistake considering I could get a AMD Athlon 64 based EMachines notebook at a pawn shop for 25 more bucks.

Notageek I get awesome standby times but this 3 cell battery only gives me 3 hours max when using the machine.

Pics? I have the white one like this one YET I have XP nit Linpus Linux.

No fate but what we make...
My Blog: kona0197.wordpress.com
Old 26th October 2008, 02:36 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

seems to me if I had one of these little bang jobs I would put puppy or DSL on it. I havent played with either in a year and a half so I would just check both out to see where they are today but I have always preferred DSL running Fluxbox even if it is an old kernel. It is just "right" and is super fast on anything.

In fact, reading everyone's comments I may just invest a few hundred and get a netbook.
Old 26th October 2008, 03:17 PM
scottro Offline

At the time I had my 3 cell, 512MB, I looked into puppy and DSL, and have forgotten why I never got around to trying them. I think puppy was having issues with the machine at the time.

As for the RAM--upgrading it is a major undertaking that will probably void the warranty. This is one reason I took it back and got the 1 GB version. Upgrading RAM involves COMPLETE disassembly of the machine, to the point of removing the rubber feet on the bottom to access some screws.

Kona, I didn't know they were selling a 512MB RAM XP version. I thought the 1 GB was only about $30 USD more, though.
Old 26th October 2008, 04:48 PM
notageek Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
Probably not, but it cuts mfgr cost by several dollars (no socket, no separate pcb) - and that matters on the low end.
Yes indeed it is cheap to manufacture.

Wonder what will the manufacturer do when the RAM dies. Replace the complete board or worse replace the laptop! (Although RAM going bad is a remote possibility, but still...)

I wonder what is the warranty on these laptops, a three year warranty is what a good RAM comes with, so if this laptop comes with a 3 year warranty then its cool.

On a slightly divergent note, I have this impractical wish list for a laptop

I want a laptop which ...
1. Should last at-least half a day on a single battery charge
2. Should have enough cpu processing power to be able to use it for development (compiling and stuff).
3. Should run cool, unlike todays laptops whose base heats up like a frying pan

Last edited by notageek; 26th October 2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 26th October 2008, 04:55 PM
scottro Offline

@notageek, standard is one year warranty, though most retailers, at least Newegg and J&R will add to that at cost---a cost that is often about 1/3 the cost of these laptops.

As for your wishes--we all have those. The 6 cell on this does run for 4-6 hours, depending upon what you're doing. Howver, yes, it gets hot and no, it's not all that powerful.