Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th June 2009, 11:38 AM
Sovereign Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demz View Post
thats your perogitive to login as root . but if you get hacked in the mean time dont come whinging to us about a hacked system cause you didnt listen
That's the point entirely of this. It is the prerogative of the user, not the system, or software to make that choice. I agree with you 122%. Logging in as root is a major security risk... but how dare some whack job programmer make that decision for me? Although I guess you are right, this conversation is much better suited on the VLC forums... it's hardly a Fedora/GNU/Linux issue.
Old 12th January 2012, 08:28 AM
nucleic Offline

linuxfirefox
Starting VLC in root

If you have enabled the root account in your fedora 16 then may be you won't able to use vlc player as root
But i tired enough to play vlc as root but I couldn't. After googling of 1 hour. I found a solution to play vlc in root account.

1. Download Ghex , this is hex editor, then open it by typing "ghex" in the terminal

2. go to file, and open the "vlc" file in the hexedittor, you can find vlc file in the "/usr/bin/vlc"

then you will see two panel right and left. avoid left panel bcoz its hex values. go to right panel and scroll down little bit find "getguid" and then replace it by "getppid" and save it. Just insert double "pp" instead of gu

after this open the terminal again and type "vlc"

I have also tested in BT5 and ubuntu

Tags
root, starting, vlc