Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th November 2008, 10:47 AM
Kasinger Offline

Post Fedora Or Ubuntu for a noob to linux ?

Hello , i just had Fedora Core 8 installed 1.5 yrs ago , but i couldn`t figure out a way how to install the drivers , such as graphics cards etc...

Now i`m thinking of reverting to Linux , because i`m having alot of bugs and viruses with my Win XP.

I would like to ask , which is the most easy desktop to use and for driver installation , whether the new version of Fedora or Ubuntu ?
Old 9th November 2008, 10:58 AM
bob Offline
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
Frankly, my choice would be Mint, a clone of Ubuntu. It configures everything for you and is beautifully done. A new version should be out soon, now that Ubuntu 8.10's been released.

Please understand that Fedora is an excellent distro but it's FOSS, which means that you'll have to add repositories and codecs if you want to use .mp3's, 3D, and several other things that you may be used to. It's also a testing distro and more likely to have rapid updates and the occasional bork. We love it, but I'd never recommend it for a starting distro. Better to have something that's pre-configured to see what linux is all about. If you get bored, THEN is the time to start playing with the finest distro in linux.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 9th November 2008, 11:05 AM
Demz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasinger View Post
Hello , i just had Fedora Core 8 installed 1.5 yrs ago , but i couldn`t figure out a way how to install the drivers , such as graphics cards etc...

Now i`m thinking of reverting to Linux , because i`m having alot of bugs and viruses with my Win XP.

I would like to ask , which is the most easy desktop to use and for driver installation , whether the new version of Fedora or Ubuntu ?
for a newb i would recommend using Ubuntu at first
Old 9th November 2008, 11:17 AM
GODhack Offline

Yes Ubuntu or Mint or maybe MEPIS is good place to warm up.
Old 9th November 2008, 11:21 AM
Wayne

Gentoo, Arch Just kidding, Bob is right on the money with Mint (Pun intended!) When you get bored you can install Fedora

Wayne
Old 9th November 2008, 11:31 AM
Kasinger Offline

Thanks for your replies, going to download Mint right away , maybe in the future i`ll get Fedora.

Tags
fedora, linux, noob, ubuntu