Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th November 2008, 06:10 AM
piet85 Offline

Network: websites load slowly

Hello at all!
I got some problems with my internet connection. My browser (or any other application trying to connect to the internet) needs too much time for connecting to an address. To say it in a short way: Surfing is very slow. This only affects the event of contacting the site, data transfers like downloads just work very well. A speed test also says that I'm surfing with the normal speed.
So the problem must lie in the process of connecting to the site. After searching google, I found several workarounds for related problems: I tried to turn off Ipv6, adding a new nameserver and also verified that my router isn't listed as a nameserver. All this without any success. (I imagine the speed being a little faster with IPv6 turned off, but even if it truly does it is way too slow)
My main problem is that I don't know what's going on inside. I guess, fedora attempts to connect and for some reason the connection is aborted several times until it connects successful. Can anyone tell me a tool with that I can view those error trials? If I would have an exact error report it would help a lot, otherwise it's like looking for a needle in a heystack.
When somebody has any other idea for solving the problem this wold help for sure too!
The problem occurred a few days ago, I think after an update. I'm runnung fedora 8 and the router is a tp-link tl-r402.
Thank you for reading!
Old 13th November 2008, 06:48 AM
JohnVV Offline

you are using Firefox?? or is it SeaMonkey or Konqueror

so you did find the tutorial about setting firefox in" about:config"to turn off ip6
http://isaytech.blogspot.com/2008/06...firefox-3.html
and you are using " OpenDNS "

how much ram is there on the computer 512 or 256 or do you have a good amount 1 to 4 gig of ram
Quote:
The problem occurred a few days ago, I think after an update.
the last ( fedora 9) update had some SELinux updates

off hand i would guess , like you probably have, that it is something to do with the router

h t t p ://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_creator_details.php?creator_id=10
Old 13th November 2008, 03:40 PM
piet85 Offline

I use firefox 3 but the problem occurs in every program accessing the internet, so it shouldn't be any problem with firefox, but I think it's a good idea to turn off IPv6 in firefox too.
No I use the nameserver of my provider, but I should try to use openDNS. The ram is no problem there are 2 GB on that machine. By the way, it worked before and it works also very fine in Windows.
Yes, I also thought about any problem between router and fedora, but it would be good to know what. I think I will try to connect without router later and if that makes my internet faster I should try a firmware update.
Old 13th November 2008, 05:40 PM
piet85 Offline

solved!

Hey thank you a lot, entering the openDNS nameserver brought success. I don't know why my internet provider's one doesn't want to interact with my linux, but now everything is fine!
Thank you very much, I'm browsing with HIGH SPEED again!

Tags
load, network, slowly, websites