Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th February 2004, 06:45 PM
Alex_gregory_uk Offline

Linux Newbie problems

I have just installed Fedora on my second hard drive. I normally use Windows XP.

I am wanting to run windows as the standard opperating system, but have Fedora as the boot default at start up.

I have found that I need to edit the menu.lst but when I try and edit this it says that access is denied. I have looked into the file properties and says that read and write is for the owner only.

Who will be the owner of this file? the administrator? How do I log in as an administrator?

Secondly the reason for installing fedora was so that when windows crashes (quite often with me) I will be able to get to my files on my main hard drive. Neither operating system shows the other drive, how do I go about this please?

Many thanks

Alex Gregory
Old 25th February 2004, 10:06 PM
clive_long Offline

Re: Linux Newbie problems

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex_gregory_uk
I have just installed Fedora on my second hard drive. I normally use Windows XP.

>>> cut <<

Secondly the reason for installing fedora was so that when windows crashes (quite often with me) I will be able to get to my files on my main hard drive. Neither operating system shows the other drive, how do I go about this please?

Many thanks

Alex Gregory
CLIVE >>>

What I have done to access Windows 98 FAT32 partitions (known as VFAT in linux) from Linux is to

1. Create a new directory in Linux - let's say mnt/winc (for windows c: drive) - name only so easy to remember

2. MOUNT (look at MAN page for description of the options for this command) the /dev/hda (or whatever the windows disk partition is seen as by Linux) on to the new directory you have created in step 1.

3. For permanent mount of windows partition on linux, update etc/fstab file (again look on Web for description of required format of entry).

Now .....

Win XP is probably created with NTFS / HPFS disk partition organisation (I think these are the same) in order to support large disks and large partition sizes.

Also .. this NTFS disk partition type is NOT supported natively in Linux HOWEVER, I did read somewhere there is a (kernel?) patch to provide this NTFS support in Linux and the format of the MOUNT is probably identical to what is described above but with NTFS replacing VFAT.

Never tried it myself. Let us know if this is relevant to you and how you get on.

Clive
Old 26th February 2004, 02:40 AM
Bana Offline
Retired Community Manager

Yes, there is a way you can install an NTFS module in fedora that will enable beta-isque support for Read ONLY. I believe you can find more information here: http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/
Be careful though, as you can damage you data doing this (sometimes) read the FAQ for more info.
Old 26th February 2004, 11:14 AM
mhelios Offline

Are you using GRUB to manage your boot loading? If so, then change the value of the "default" statement in /boot/grub/grub.conf to the Fedora entry. i.e. if Fedora is the second entry in the file than change it to: default=1 (ordering starts at zero).
Old 26th February 2004, 02:50 PM
Alex_gregory_uk Offline

I understand that I have to edit the grub.conf file. my problem is i can not eidt it as it says access denied. I have to be the owner, but how do i log in as the owner?
Old 26th February 2004, 03:04 PM
Ug Offline

Loging in as root, will enable you to alter it.

Or use the Super Use File Manager.

Please adhere to the FedoraForum Guidelines.
Old 26th February 2004, 03:07 PM
Alex_gregory_uk Offline

so username root, then administrators password?
Old 26th February 2004, 03:43 PM
Ug Offline

Yea, you can do that on the login screen.

Only use the root user to perform essential maintenance such as this, otherwise you might accidently fatally alter something in your every day use.

Please adhere to the FedoraForum Guidelines.

Tags
linux, newbie, problems