Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th November 2008, 04:44 AM
JTHM Offline

wlan0 and eth0 not working

i have an ethernet cable plugged directly into my router and neither the computer nor router is recognizing it and the wireless is the same thing. for both, if i try to activate them in the network config they just give errors.
for eth0:
"Determining IP information for eth0... failed; no link present. Check cable?"
for wlan0:
"Error for wireless request "Set Mode"(8B06):
SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.
Determining IP information for wlan0... failed."

but it is recognized there is network hardware and seems to have correct drivers for it.
plus i don't see where i'd be entering my wep key for my wireless anyway. please help.
Old 17th November 2008, 04:46 AM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/rhhw.html
Old 17th November 2008, 05:31 AM
JTHM Offline

ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems SIS900 PCIFast Ethernet (rev 91)
network controller: RaLink RT2500 802.11g Cardbus/mini-PCI (rev 01)
Cardbus bridge: ENE Technology Inc CB1410 Cardbus Controller (rev 01)
(i think, that link you gave me said that -nn should have 168c:001c as the id number and i don't know which is the id number, for the rt2500 i have 1814:0201).
the notebook is an averatec 6220.
Old 17th November 2008, 03:43 PM
brigame Offline

Are you sure that the router is configured correctly? Can you check it from somwhere?
Is ethernet cable ok? The errors that you have are normal when network device can't set up ip address, usually from dhcp server.
Old 17th November 2008, 04:11 PM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

JTHM, I'm sorry, and I guess I better clarify that page. I use that wireless card only as an example, and also because, in that ONE particular case, that particular card is hard to determine from lpci. Don't worry about that part. You did fine in giving us information.
That SiS card was what we were interested in anyway, just to make sure it wasn't some unusual card.
After that brigame's questions are good ones. If possible, swap a cable, try a liveCD of some other distro to see if it sees the card, if there's an MS installation on there, see if it can reach the router.

The issue here is to try to pinpoint the problem. Is it the O/S, card, cable or router? The questions brigame asks can help figure that part out.
Old 17th November 2008, 07:25 PM
JTHM Offline

the wireless was working fine with win xp which was on it before (i just installed fedora and the network has never worked yet). the wireless network is fine because i have 4 other devices connected to it with no problem. i don't know if the ethernet port went bad, but the wifi should definitely work as it was connecting to this same network 2 days ago. i can try another cable or something, but since this is my notebook computer i use for school i really need the wifi and really don't care about ethernet, i just tried it to see if it would work.

Tags
eth0, wlan0, working