Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th November 2008, 01:16 AM
ABomb Offline

Thumbs down How Can i Multi-boot Fedora & Vista

Well I'm new to the whole "Linux/Fedora" scene. I just got a job at IBM and I will be working with Fedora and all Linux OS. So basically I want to run my Vista and I would like to partition my drive to multi-boot with Fedora. I figured by doing this that I would be able to learn alot more.

So my question to you is how do I do this? I'm not very familar remember. So "english" please lol .

BTW I'm only 16 so I am very new too this.

Thanks
Old 18th November 2008, 01:31 AM
metatron Offline

I think this has been posted around here several times so if you do a search you can get a lot of info. However, the way I do it is this: I start off using gParted to partition my harddrive. So in your case I would shrink my Vista <shudder> partition down to whatever size I want on one of my computers my XP partition is 90GB. Then create a new partition for your swap - the size of this depends on the amount of RAM you have. Then create another primary partition for Fedora. This will be and ext3 filesystem. After you apply all this and gParted has done it's work, reboot and make sure everything turned out ok. Then you can install Fedora on the ext3 partition. Anaconda, Fedora's install program is pretty self explanatory. There are also install docs and FAQs at the Fedora Project website and I'm sure on here as well.
Oh, you might want to create a separate /home partition, this will make upgrading easier down the line.
Old 18th November 2008, 01:39 AM
ABomb Offline

How do I download the the Fedora files onto a DVD?
Old 18th November 2008, 01:41 AM
metatron Offline

http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora
Then burn an iso to dvd.
Old 18th November 2008, 01:57 AM
ABomb Offline

I burned that to my dvd. Now what?
Old 18th November 2008, 02:04 AM
Demz

please use a better description in your title next time..
Old 18th November 2008, 02:13 AM
kr4ey Offline

The first thing I would do is create a image of your hard drive if you make a mistake. You can use this program its free and works very good I've been using it a few months.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

Than search how to dual boot Vista and Fedora. I would also search on Google.
Old 18th November 2008, 02:27 AM
metatron Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABomb View Post
I burned that to my dvd. Now what?
Now boot from the dvd. Like kr4key you might want to back up your harddrive and do a google search for dualbooting Vista and Fedora. Make sure Anaconda and Vista dont' have any discrepancies too. Vista's weird like that.
Old 18th November 2008, 06:59 AM
JohnVV Offline

abomb you might want to read the Fedora install doc
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f9/en_US/

h t t p ://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_creator_details.php?creator_id=10

Tags
fedora, multiboot, vista