Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th November 2008, 11:48 AM
Inception Offline

Netbook that runs newest Fedora well?

I'm looking at buying 5-10 netbooks for running various dummy displays and debug terminals for my business. I'm unsure about which netbooks run Fedora well, and will continue to do so for the near future.

I've experimented with the HP Mini-Note 2133, and it runs Fedora 8 perfectly. However Fedora 9 and 10 won't start X properly, it all gets blurry and mixed up.

Any fix, or alternative netbooks?
Old 18th November 2008, 01:06 PM
EnglandA Offline

Well, I bought my EEE PC 1000H 2 weeks ago, and after a few days of research got Fedora 10 running smoothly on it (graphics, compiz, webcam, touchpad etc all working). The main problem I had was the wireless, but rpmfusion has kernel modiles (rt2860) for this. So now the only issue is getting the wireless to resume after standby/hibernating. But I haven't spent any time looking into this.
Registered Linux User #221895
Old 18th November 2008, 02:16 PM
Inception Offline

I don't think we are going to use them for any standby/hibernating or battery actions, they're gonna be online 24/7.
What I liked about the HP was that it was just a clean install, and no modifications, then everything worked.
I know my way around Linux well enough to probably get it to work, but it's a bit stressfull setting up a bunch of them.
Maybe just setting up one, and mirroring the drive, and copying it to the rest?
Old 18th November 2008, 02:42 PM
ryptyde Online

I have the Acer Aspire One that is running F10 preview, 120 GB hdd, 1GBram. Wireless works OOB.

Have you checked out the XO laptop from OLPC maybe it would fill your needs and the needs of others and you can get Fedora 10 on a SSD card preinstalled.
Old 18th November 2008, 05:43 PM
ValHolla Offline

I run an HP DV9XXX series laptop it has nvidia graphics, the "stock nv" driver loads with no problem
I use the livna (rpmfusion) repository for kmod-nvida and akmod-nvidia (to enable the 3d effects)

the only minor issue I had was getting the wireless (it has a brodcom card) to work. after a quick forum search here, that was resovled.
    US German-born Theoretical Physicist

Tags
fedora, netbook, newest, runs