Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th November 2008, 04:00 AM
Divit11 Offline

Question Bug or new feature in F10?

Hi All,

Just put the new F10 i386 version on a little test server by updating over F9. There was little problem with the process. Upon rebooting I got a screen full of GRUB GRUB etc. I used Super Grub Boot Disk to repair that problem. Now after the Grub screen goes to black a white bar with two blue sections that behaves like a progress bar moves alone the bottom of the screen to the right until it connects with the words Fedora 10. Then about ten seconds later the login screen appears and I can get to my Gnome desktop. I miss the details listed during the installation. I had read that the entire startup process was going to be simplified and shortened. For what its worth there does not appear to be much of a time savings during this process. Is this some kind of installation problem or what?

TIA for any guidance.
Divit11
Old 26th November 2008, 04:12 AM
Jordanlw Offline

The loading bar is a feature,
Not sure what your problem is though.

If It's not broken don't fix It!
Old 26th November 2008, 04:43 AM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

It's Plymouth the new feature that doesn't work with some relatively unknown cards, such as Intels.

Seriously, this one is specifically covered in the release notes. In many cases, it can be made to work if you add vga=0x318 at the end of the kernel line in Grub, the one that ends with rhgb quiet. (On some netbooks, that has to be changed to 0x315---note that is the numeral zero, not an upper case letter o).

(To those noting sagittar's correction, before editing, I had mistyped it as 0x=318--that, of course, is wrong, and many thanks for the correction.)

It's actually quite a nice graphic. If you prefer to see the boot messages, you can remove the rhbg quit part at the end of the kernel line in grub.
Otherwise, to see boot messages as Plymouth is running, you you can hit the escape key. For me, I've found that that seems to only kick in once it gets to interactive startup.

Last edited by scottro; 26th November 2008 at 11:44 AM. Reason: typed wrong command
Old 26th November 2008, 05:47 AM
Divit11 Offline

Thanks for replying so quickly, Jordanlw and Scottro,

Having grown up in the shadow of Chicago where Ludwig Mies van der Rohe's aphorism "less is more" still has merit I am concerned that a black screen with just a multi colored progress bar looks too unfinished for a distro of this caliber. I am happy, however to know that it was not something I did wrong. Learning about using the ESC key to display the boot process has been a good thing.

I checked the Xorg.0.log and this box has an nVidia NV6 [Vanta/Vanta LT] card installed and am using the NV driver. Adding the 0x=318 did not appear to make any difference in the display process.

In closing, I've got to say this upgrade was the cleanest and least painful of all the upgrades going back to FC5.

Divit11
Old 26th November 2008, 08:14 AM
sagittar Offline

not 0x=318, but vga=0x318
Old 26th November 2008, 11:43 AM
scottro Offline

Argh--thank you sagittar, I really shouldn't post late at night. I'm going to edit my post to the correct command.
Old 26th November 2008, 05:39 PM
Yentor Offline

workin if adding vga=0x318
how can i do t always start with this command, without adding manually?
up2date kernel
AMD Athlon X2 5000+ 2.6 Ghz, black edition(??)
gigabyte Nvidia 8500 gt
2 GB RAM
Smolt profile
Old 26th November 2008, 05:39 PM
Divit11 Offline

Thanks guys,

After correcting the grub.conf line to include VGA=0x318 and rebooting, I was not able to notice any real change. So I have gone back to rhgb quiet and will use the ESC key from time to time.

D
Old 26th November 2008, 05:43 PM
Yentor Offline

where is the grub.conf?
up2date kernel
AMD Athlon X2 5000+ 2.6 Ghz, black edition(??)
gigabyte Nvidia 8500 gt
2 GB RAM
Smolt profile
Old 26th November 2008, 05:46 PM
hiberphoptik Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yentor View Post
where is the grub.conf?

/etc/grub.conf
Old 27th November 2008, 01:21 AM
egurski Offline

I had the exact same problem. This solution did not work as all I got when I pressed "ESC" was a choice for which boot drive I wanted.

So, I went back to the installation CD and did an upgrade (again) but this time choose to install a new boot loader, even though I was going to choose Grub again ( I first tried to upgrade the boot loader, but that gave me sthe same problem)....

Rebooted the system and everything went well...

The update went smoothly otherwise...
Old 27th November 2008, 01:44 AM
jim1944 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divit11 View Post
...There was little problem with the process. Upon rebooting I got a screen full of GRUB GRUB etc. I used Super Grub Boot Disk to repair that problem. ....
Divit11
I had same problem. I fixed it by rebooting installation disc1 in rescue mode and:
Code:
chroot /mnt/sysimage
grub-install /dev/sda
I had upgraded from F9 and left default option to upgrade grub.

Jim
Old 27th November 2008, 11:38 AM
itachi Offline

hihi. I've learned a long time ago that it's never wrong to add something like vga=0x318.
In my case it's vga=866 (Nice for my 1366x768 display). Helps most of the Laptops in case of problems with the splash screen. Since then .. it worked like a charm. The Splashscreen in F10 instantly worked after the Distupgrade from f9->f10.
Old 28th November 2008, 11:58 AM
joorab Offline

how should I find the correct vga value
my resolution is 1240X800
Old 28th November 2008, 02:55 PM
scottro Offline

I don't think they cover that one. If you look at the mjmwired page at
http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Docum.../fb/vesafb.txt

Tags
bug, f10, feature