Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th November 2008, 10:20 AM
ftaylor Offline

Ubuntu to Fedora transition help

Hello folks,

I've been using Ubuntu for over a year, and I've decided to give Fedora a go!

I have a number of questions (that are probably very simple to answer)

1. How do I add my account to the sudoers list? (and is there any point?)

2. How do I set a network proxy for yum? (in Ubuntu you had to create a file in /etc/apt/apt.conf with a proxy line)

3. Whenever I type a command like "gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist" I get a whole bunch of terminal spew like:-

(gedit:3559): EggSMClient-WARNING **: Failed to connect to the session manager: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported

GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ for information. (Details - 1: Failed to get connection to session: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.)

and it repeats the GConf error loads of times... but does actually open gedit with the correct file.

4. (How do / Can) you enable restricted drivers? E.g. the ATI fglrx driver.

5. Where is xorg.conf?

I think that's all for now.

Thanks,

Finbarr

Last edited by ftaylor; 26th November 2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 26th November 2008, 12:37 PM
markkuk Offline

1. Fedora doesn't use sudo by default. If you want to enable it, read the sudo documentation (man sudo) and use the visudo command to edit the sudoers list.
2. Edit the file /etc/yum.conf: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/D...Guide/YumProxy
3. No idea, I don't use gedit or Gnome
4. The non-free drivers are in the RPMFusion repo, see: http://rpmfusion.org/RPMFusionSwitcher
5. X is autoconfigured and there's no xorg.conf by default. Create one if you want to change the automatic settings.
Old 26th November 2008, 07:04 PM
ftaylor Offline

1. thanks, su works fine alone.
2. I found that one, thanks.
3. Unresolved.

4. I have added the RPMFusion repositories, but when I try and yum install any packages from these repos they cannot be found. Do I have to do anything? I have looked at software sources and I have definitely added the repos.

5. Ok, bit of a hassle to turn off my laptop touchpad.

Finbarr
Old 26th November 2008, 07:15 PM
hermouche Offline

Yes as said markkuk the X is autoconfigured and the xorg.conf is here:

Quote:
[red@localhost ~]$ cd /etc/X11/
[red@localhost X11]$ ls
applnk prefdm xdm Xmodmap xorg.conf~
fontpath.d twm xinit xorg.conf Xresources
[red@localhost X11]$
red

Last edited by hermouche; 26th November 2008 at 07:20 PM.

Tags
fedora, transition, ubuntu